• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could I have done something.?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mia.Nita

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

As you know from my previous thread my mother and I are at odds, and my parenting plan is progressing nicely, thanks for asking.
Just letting her know I have rights, and I know what I'm doing has gotten her to back off some. not ready to take it to court yet, we are working on it.

I'm not sure where this would fall,, as far as where to put this thread.

So, I have been bothered by something that happend years ago, so it holds no relevence now, but I'd like to know could I have done something at the time?

When I was 19, I moved out. (alone) but then I was asked to return to my moms house and I did, I was paying out alot because of the job I had, I was making lots of money and I was paying my mom, my dad, a babysitter, and purchasing all kinds of stuff. (wreakless spending, but it made me happy, and I was making the money so whatever) I was going to go to school. (paid for by me) all that good stuff.

One eventfull weekend I came home to find my mother had thrown out everything I had, except my bed and TV. When I say everything I had I mean EVERYTHING. cloths, shoes, personal items, toys of the baby's, everything, and keep in mind I had been collecting my stuff since forever, some things were irreplaceable to me. plus everything I had bought, I mean I cant stress everything enough.

anyway, so I left that night to a friends house, and began to live there.

Was there something I could have done legally? like sue her at least for the unlawfull eviction? destruction of property? could I have had her arrested? what about the rent I was paying?
Could I have used that in the custody that I was doing nothing about? What could I have done? ? ? its driving me crazy.

Thanks guys.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

As you know from my previous thread my mother and I are at odds, and my parenting plan is progressing nicely, thanks for asking.
Just letting her know I have rights, and I know what I'm doing has gotten her to back off some. not ready to take it to court yet, we are working on it.

I'm not sure where this would fall,, as far as where to put this thread.

So, I have been bothered by something that happend years ago, so it holds no relevence now, but I'd like to know could I have done something at the time?

When I was 19, I moved out. (alone) but then I was asked to return to my moms house and I did, I was paying out alot because of the job I had, I was making lots of money and I was paying my mom, my dad, a babysitter, and purchasing all kinds of stuff. (wreakless spending, but it made me happy, and I was making the money so whatever) I was going to go to school. (paid for by me) all that good stuff.

One eventfull weekend I came home to find my mother had thrown out everything I had, except my bed and TV. When I say everything I had I mean EVERYTHING. cloths, shoes, personal items, toys of the baby's, everything, and keep in mind I had been collecting my stuff since forever, some things were irreplaceable to me. plus everything I had bought, I mean I cant stress everything enough.

anyway, so I left that night to a friends house, and began to live there.

Was there something I could have done legally? like sue her at least for the unlawfull eviction? destruction of property? could I have had her arrested? what about the rent I was paying?
Could I have used that in the custody that I was doing nothing about? What could I have done? ? ? its driving me crazy.

Thanks guys.
You were 19 when this happened:eek::eek::eek:. You are 25 now. Give it up and get real

Mia.Nita

I'm not working today, and I thought this to be a good question. Is there something I couldhave done? no big deal, just asking.

b.momma

I think this is a good question. I think I would have called the cops, and tried to have her arrested. was your stuff still in the trash or was it gone? How long were you gone for?

Mia.Nita

thanks for the interest b.momma, everything was gone, I was gone fri-monday eve. but still, I was paying rent I was a tennent, she had NO Right to even enter my room. Maby if freeadvice . com was available back then, I may have been able to take my life back then.

But no. apparently this issue can only be taken seriously if it happened yesterday, to OP -total post's 0-

I thought it was a good discussion question. My bad.

LdiJ

thanks for the interest b.momma, everything was gone, I was gone fri-monday eve. but still, I was paying rent I was a tennent, she had NO Right to even enter my room. Maby if freeadvice . com was available back then, I may have been able to take my life back then.

But no. apparently this issue can only be taken seriously if it happened yesterday, to OP -total post's 0-

I thought it was a good discussion question. My bad.
It wasn't a bad question, its just a basically irrelevant one at this point.

The problem was that you left...and apparently left your child as well. You might have been able to do something about it at the time, but as a 19 year old living in your parent's home, its not guaranteed that you could have done something about it at the time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">