• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court Proceedure in Paternity Petition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

champsma

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
My ex filed petition for paternity, time sharing and parental responsibility. We are now in agreement that we would like to handle matters ourselves without any petition, or legal proceedings. His lawyer says there is no way to dissolve this petition in court without agreeing to, or completing the required time sharing, child support and parental responsibility papers. If you file a petition is there any way to dissolve or end the case without these documents?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My ex filed petition for paternity, time sharing and parental responsibility. We are now in agreement that we would like to handle matters ourselves without any petition, or legal proceedings. His lawyer says there is no way to dissolve this petition in court without agreeing to, or completing the required time sharing, child support and parental responsibility papers. If you file a petition is there any way to dissolve or end the case without these documents?
Maybe but quite frankly why don't you want a court order for the child's sake? Because the two of you cannot deal with this without court involvement.

LdiJ

Your ex filed the petition and he has every right to file to dismiss the case. His lawyer does not want him to do so, because the lawyer knows that this really is something that must get legally estabished. Its honestly not in anyone's best interest not have enforceable court orders.

champsma

Lmao

Maybe but quite frankly why don't you want a court order for the child's sake? Because the two of you cannot deal with this without court involvement.
Your answer is MAYBE.... HAHA
Why don't we want a court order? Because we are not interested. He filed in fear I would leave state. He is no longer in that fear. Haste makes waste and he jumped to file that before further details....

Our child's best interest is to have the two people who conceived him and signed as his parents on all his birth and medical records, decide what his best interest are, since we know him and ourselves better than any court personnel does.

We cannot deal with this with out the courts... We certainly handled everything else without them... They weren't in bed with us on that special night, they weren't at his birth, nor would they ever be contributing to pay for any of his food clothing or shelter.

We are handling everything in our child's life but two days ago his lawyer passed us this information and we wanted some type of info over the weekend to assure us that those documents were not a necessity in order for the judge to dismiss this case.

Thanks for your reply

champsma

Interesting**************

Your ex filed the petition and he has every right to file to dismiss the case. His lawyer does not want him to do so, because the lawyer knows that this really is something that must get legally estabished. Its honestly not in anyone's best interest not have enforceable court orders.
Thank you.
Our feeling is that he has that right as well.

Why do you feel that this is "really something" to get legally established? The father signed, sealed and delivered everything in child's life and would never be denied anything from his child?

Enforceable court order is best interest... Enforced how? A piece of paper that has to get refiled in court if either party is in default of the agreement on that paper?

Best interest is always subjective... We believe that we can continue with the plans and roll with whatever punches we may encounter for at least until our child is old enough to make his own educated decisions.

Thanks for the reply

LdiJ

Thank you.

Why do you feel that this is "really something" to get legally established? The father signed, sealed and delivered everything in child's life and would never be denied anything from his child?

Enforceable court order is best interest... Enforced how? A piece of paper that has to get refiled in court if either party is in default of the agreement on that paper?

Best interest is always subjective... We believe that we can continue with the plans and roll with whatever punches we may encounter for at least until our child is old enough to make his own educated decisions.

Thanks for the reply
Just so you know, my ex and I also handled the life of our child between ourselves, without any input from courts. However, we did have court orders due to our divorce, that protected both of us should the other one have ever changed and become unreasonable.

You cannot be certain of the future and how that will effect the total familial relationships. The most common factor that effects things are new significant others coming into the picture. Having court orders to fall back on protects everyone.

Just Blue

Thank you.

Thanks for the reply

Many members here have felt the same way ...until the other parent decides to "keep" the child...A court order gives BOTH the CP and the NCP recourse in case it is needed. But mostly it protect the child's interest to have reasonable contact, financial support and input by BOTH parents.

A piece of paper that has to get refiled in court if either party is in default of the agreement on that paper?
If your ex were to take the child and deny you contact you can bet your bottom dollar that you will be overjoyed to have this "piece of paper".

A court order protects BOTH parents rights to the child and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, protects the child's interest when the parents are to angry and selfish to remember to put the child's needs first.

janM

If your ex were to take the child and deny you contact you can bet your bottom dollar that you will be overjoyed to have this "piece of paper".

A court order protects BOTH parents rights to the child and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, protects the child's interest when the parents are to angry and selfish to remember to put the child's needs first.
Oh, but that will *never happen* with these 2...:rolleyes:

The fact that he filed at all tells me he had serious concerns and felt that a court order would protect him. You may not be moving now, but what about in the future? Seems like 99% of the people posting here who want to move, want to do so because of their present bf/gf/spouse/whatever. That could be you (or him) someday.

champsma

If he was to take the child... HAHA
I would be overjoyed! Then he would bring him back and I would thank him for the break!

He isn't that ignorant to take our child and run or hide. He knows that a child needs to be raised by mother and father and best interest are not outsiders, relatives and babysitters. People who have nothing, along with nothing to lose, act in such desperation.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If he was to take the child... HAHA
I would be overjoyed! Then he would bring him back and I would thank him for the break!

He isn't that ignorant to take our child and run or hide. He knows that a child needs to be raised by mother and father and best interest are not outsiders, relatives and babysitters. People who have nothing, along with nothing to lose, act in such desperation.
Do what you want. Why are you even here quite frankly since you know what will happen.

champsma

Oh, but that will *never happen* with these 2...:rolleyes:

The fact that he filed at all tells me he had serious concerns and felt that a court order would protect him. You may not be moving now, but what about in the future? Seems like 99% of the people posting here who want to move, want to do so because of their present bf/gf/spouse/whatever. That could be you (or him) someday.
Never say never!
I love my child and I welcome the day his father
*keeps and denies me contact*!!!
I am a MOTHER what court would act with as much urgency and efficiency as me?
:rolleyes:

Like I replied to Blue... Desperation and ignorance are not the issue in this
matter.

Like I posted in my topic... He filed hastily, in fear, he is well aware of my security in two states unlike his in just one...Now, he is again in understanding that his child will not be relocating and that he will always be involved. That is our (mine and his) unified position.

champsma

Do what you want. Why are you even here quite frankly since you know what will happen.
I'm here because its the weekend and cannot have my question answered until Monday.
I came to FreeAdvice seeking advice on the one question that hasn't yet been directly answered. :confused:

Does the court need those documents to be filed and completed in order to close this case, dismiss or whatever.

LdiJ

I'm here because its the weekend and cannot have my question answered until Monday.
I came to FreeAdvice seeking advice on the one question that hasn't yet been directly answered. :confused:

Does the court need those documents to be filed and completed in order to close this case, dismiss or whatever.
I DID answer that question directly.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

You can go away. It was answered. Call your attorney or do whatever.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">