• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CPS Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

isis297

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV, CA, ID

Asking for a friend who wasn't sure how to navigate your site when I suggested she post here. I'm copying her messages to me when I asked she seems me the details so I could do it.

"Hi, I live in Nampa Idaho and my son and DIL are in Reno Nevada. In January A (granddaughter) was referred at 2 months for an ultrasound of her head because it was "still" bigger then it should be and getting bigger. There was a very difficult vaginal delivery. Ultrasound and MRI showed fluid on the brain. After her being in the ER and overnight at Reno hospital social services had no concern, but Reno did not have a pediatric neurosurgeon so they care flight her to Oakland children's in California. A was in PICU for 4 days then they put a shunt in her head. Surgeon said cerebral fluid no active bleed and only small amount of old blood. They released A 3 day's later. Mom and dad took her home to DIL grandmother that lives in Bay Area. The following day they flew home to Reno. Fifteen minutes after getting home, CPS took A. Now CPS says it was abuse, but no way to prove it. I can say 100% they did not hurt their daughter. Yes they have public defenders and that's a joke. I called around and could not even find an attorney that would go up against CPS so I called legal services and the director told me because it costs tens of thousands of dollars that attorneys can't volunteer their time. We don't have the money anyway and I tried to raise money and all I got from family was rude and hateful comments, but that's sadly my family. I've been to court both times with them in hopes my appearance would matter, but no it didn't. My DIL public defender said he believes it is a medical condition that caused it. However, they went to mediation and both PD did nothing and the kids were on their own and intimidated and signed the agreement because they are not being advised by council and just are desperately trying to get their baby back. The whole thing stinks of corruption. CPS here explained their process and were shocked at all that Nevada is doing in this case. I've even thought of moving myself temporarily to Reno, but that would cost about 1100.00 a month at the very least. Then Adalynn could hopefully live with me and the kids could at least see her daily. The kids, A and me are at the mercy of a corrupt system and there is absolutely nothing we can do. I'm just devastated as are the kids. I so appreciate all your kindness and prayers. Thank you and God bless."

I asked what agreement they signed.

"That case would be sealed as far as no criminal charges, really from what it sounds like that was it. CPS maintains "they" believe it was abuse even though they can't prove it and there was absolutely zero signs of any other abuse. That CPS will keep custody of A. CPS had already petitioned in February for custody until January 2017. Both attorneys were at mediation and did and said nothing. I haven't gotten more specifics from the kids yet because my son has been working 10 to 12 hour days and DIL works from 3 to 11:30 at night. It basically sounds like everything stays the same except no criminal charges. Which means A will be 1 in November this year and will be kept at a horrible foster home until she is 14 months old. CPS. Here's what is so wrong! Reno CPS and the hospital were never concerned about abuse. Then Oakland children's released A to mom and dad then reported abuse to Reno. Once they got home, 15 minutes later Reno was there with an emergency warrant to remove A. The foster mother she was placed with was amazing. After a week the foster mom made it clear to the pediatrician, CPS and the kids that she and her husband did not believe it was abuse. The moved A within 2 day's of this."

My friend is the grandmother. She lives in Idaho where she completed everything asked of her within less than 3 weeks I think it was so she could foster her granddaughter. Reno denied her. Idaho CPS said she shouldn't have been removed in the first place. Her son and DIL have done everything asked of them and have passed everything required.

I was hoping you might have some advice I can pass on to help them. They can't afford an attorney and it appears the PD was no help.

Sorry it's so long. Thank you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Asking for a friend who wasn't sure how to navigate your site when I suggested she post here. I'm copying her messages to me when I asked she seems me the details so I could do it.

"Hi, I live in Nampa Idaho and my son and DIL are in Reno Nevada. In January A (granddaughter) was referred at 2 months for an ultrasound of her head because it was "still" bigger then it should be and getting bigger. There was a very difficult vaginal delivery. Ultrasound and MRI showed fluid on the brain. After her being in the ER and overnight at Reno hospital social services had no concern, but Reno did not have a pediatric neurosurgeon so they care flight her to Oakland children's in California. A was in PICU for 4 days then they put a shunt in her head. Surgeon said cerebral fluid no active bleed and only small amount of old blood. They released A 3 day's later. Mom and dad took her home to DIL grandmother that lives in Bay Area. The following day they flew home to Reno. Fifteen minutes after getting home, CPS took A. Now CPS says it was abuse, but no way to prove it. I can say 100% they did not hurt their daughter. Yes they have public defenders and that's a joke.
I am one of the ones on this site that has a lot of experience battling (and winning against) CPS. But you see, tell your friend the following, "you decided to be a jerk and state that public defenders they have are a joke. Why is that? They are not real attorneys? You can't say 100% they did not hurt their daughter unless you were there and watching both of them 100% of the time. You are the joke. Hope that makes you feel better. And I could continue on why you are wrong but whatever. I don't deal with disrespectful cretins.

Go along now and pay someone. Oh, you don't have the money. Oh well. Signed, Appointed Counsel on CPS cases."

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

"Hi, I live in Nampa Idaho and my son and DIL are in Reno Nevada. In January A (granddaughter) was referred at 2 months for an ultrasound of her head because it was "still" bigger then it should be and getting bigger. There was a very difficult vaginal delivery. Ultrasound and MRI showed fluid on the brain. After her being in the ER and overnight at Reno hospital social services had no concern, but Reno did not have a pediatric neurosurgeon so they care flight her to Oakland children's in California. A was in PICU for 4 days then they put a shunt in her head. Surgeon said cerebral fluid no active bleed and only small amount of old blood. They released A 3 day's later. Mom and dad took her home to DIL grandmother that lives in Bay Area. The following day they flew home to Reno. Fifteen minutes after getting home, CPS took A. Now CPS says it was abuse, but no way to prove it. I can say 100% they did not hurt their daughter. Yes they have public defenders and that's a joke. I called around and could not even find an attorney that would go up against CPS so I called legal services and the director told me because it costs tens of thousands of dollars that attorneys can't volunteer their time. We don't have the money anyway and I tried to raise money and all I got from family was rude and hateful comments, but that's sadly my family. I've been to court both times with them in hopes my appearance would matter, but no it didn't. My DIL public defender said he believes it is a medical condition that caused it. However, they went to mediation and both PD did nothing and the kids were on their own and intimidated and signed the agreement because they are not being advised by council and just are desperately trying to get their baby back. The whole thing stinks of corruption. CPS here explained their process and were shocked at all that Nevada is doing in this case. I've even thought of moving myself temporarily to Reno, but that would cost about 1100.00 a month at the very least. Then Adalynn could hopefully live with me and the kids could at least see her daily. The kids, A and me are at the mercy of a corrupt system and there is absolutely nothing we can do. I'm just devastated as are the kids. I so appreciate all your kindness and prayers. Thank you and God bless."

I asked what agreement they signed.

"That case would be sealed as far as no criminal charges, really from what it sounds like that was it. CPS maintains "they" believe it was abuse even though they can't prove it and there was absolutely zero signs of any other abuse. That CPS will keep custody of A. CPS had already petitioned in February for custody until January 2017. Both attorneys were at mediation and did and said nothing. I haven't gotten more specifics from the kids yet because my son has been working 10 to 12 hour days and DIL works from 3 to 11:30 at night. It basically sounds like everything stays the same except no criminal charges. Which means A will be 1 in November this year and will be kept at a horrible foster home until she is 14 months old. CPS. Here's what is so wrong! Reno CPS and the hospital were never concerned about abuse. Then Oakland children's released A to mom and dad then reported abuse to Reno. Once they got home, 15 minutes later Reno was there with an emergency warrant to remove A. The foster mother she was placed with was amazing. After a week the foster mom made it clear to the pediatrician, CPS and the kids that she and her husband did not believe it was abuse. The moved A within 2 day's of this."

My friend is the grandmother. She lives in Idaho where she completed everything asked of her within less than 3 weeks I think it was so she could foster her granddaughter. Reno denied her. Idaho CPS said she shouldn't have been removed in the first place. Her son and DIL have done everything asked of them and have passed everything required.

I was hoping you might have some advice I can pass on to help them. They can't afford an attorney and it appears the PD was no help.

Sorry it's so long. Thank you.
Just quoting the whole thing because OP's friend is a bit of a jerk. I could attend mediation but I am not allowed to say ANYTHING at a mediation because it is not for attorneys. The foster mom has no right to express anything regarding whether it was caused by abuse unless of course she is an expert in child abuse with several degrees and education behind her name. Bet she didn't have that.

Last edited:

isis297

I am sorry my friend came across as harsh. She is heartbroken and they all feel like the system has and is failing them, especially when her own CPS said there's no reason they aren't at least giving the baby to her for now vs a stranger. She just wants her granddaughter to be able to stay with her at the least. Surely you can understand that.

Being a mom myself, I can't imagine my children being taken away from me and despite not having any proof them being kept from me for basically a year. These new parents should be enjoying their first year of firsts: parenthood, sitting, crawling, words, sicknesses, etc. and shouldn't be robbed of that if they didn't do anything wrong. If they did, CPS should prove it. If they are so certain the parents did something, why agree to return the baby at a specific time 9 months down the road?

I don't want to go back to her and tell her because she loves her granddaughter so fiercely and feels like there's a target on her family for some reason, that nobody will try to understand that and still help her. I told her how many times I have gotten good advice here that I've appreciated and that I thought someone here could help her. Honestly I'd question their love for the baby if they weren't losing their minds and flipping out.

isis297

What is the point of having an attorney present if they aren't allowed to advise their clients? Isn't that the whole point?

Just Blue

What is the point of having an attorney present if they aren't allowed to advise their clients? Isn't that the whole point?
The "point" is that the "grandmother" should post for herself. As she has an attorney that she does not pay for and yet disparages ....Yeah. She should deal with this herself. :(

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No. The whole point of mediation is to have the actual parties come to agreement. COURT and HEARINGS are for attorneys to argue for their clients.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am sorry my friend came across as harsh. She is heartbroken and they all feel like the system has and is failing them, especially when her own CPS said there's no reason they aren't at least giving the baby to her for now vs a stranger. She just wants her granddaughter to be able to stay with her at the least. Surely you can understand that.

Being a mom myself, I can't imagine my children being taken away from me and despite not having any proof them being kept from me for basically a year. These new parents should be enjoying their first year of firsts: parenthood, sitting, crawling, words, sicknesses, etc. and shouldn't be robbed of that if they didn't do anything wrong. If they did, CPS should prove it. If they are so certain the parents did something, why agree to return the baby at a specific time 9 months down the road?

I don't want to go back to her and tell her because she loves her granddaughter so fiercely and feels like there's a target on her family for some reason, that nobody will try to understand that and still help her. I told her how many times I have gotten good advice here that I've appreciated and that I thought someone here could help her. Honestly I'd question their love for the baby if they weren't losing their minds and flipping out.
The child cannot be placed with your friend because she is in a different state. An ICPC would need to be done. And you apologizing matters not. Your friend seems to have the idea that she and her children are entitled without knowing the actual "entitlements" she is demanding for them and instead criticizing people who are doing their job and disparaging an entire profession. Nobody will try to understand her? Are you kidding? I would help HER child but she is NOT a party, nor are you. You are so far removed from the situation that your fourth hand information is no good at all. Her information is only slightly better. I bet she is being lied to or not being told properly the entire story.

isis297

I don't know her son and DIL so I don't know their computer skill sets. I think they are on the young side. I was just trying to help get advice for the grandmother and because of her emotions, I can't get advice for her now. I guess there's no point in her posting here even if I could figure out how to help her from afar navigate the site herself. I certainly don't want her coming on here and being bashed because of how she felt about the PDs assigned to the kids. I don't think she was saying that was how she felt about all PDs...just the ones they got because she didn't understand they weren't allowed to say anything so I guess she thought they didn't know what they were doing. I don't want to ask her for confirmation, but I choose to believe she doesn't have an ill heart and is just a hurting grandmother. So now this family especially the baby and her parents will have to suffer. :-(

Just Blue

I don't know her son and DIL so I don't know their computer skill sets. I think they are on the young side. I was just trying to help get advice for the grandmother and because of her emotions, I can't get advice for her now. I guess there's no point in her posting here even if I could figure out how to help her from afar navigate the site herself. I certainly don't want her coming on here and being bashed because of how she felt about the PDs assigned to the kids. I don't think she was saying that was how she felt about all PDs...just the ones they got because she didn't understand they weren't allowed to say anything so I guess she thought they didn't know what they were doing. I don't want to ask her for confirmation, but I choose to believe she doesn't have an ill heart and is just a hurting grandmother. So now this family especially the baby and her parents will have to suffer. :-(
Ahhh..So Gram's may not "hear" what she may want so ....What? Good advice for the kid(s) should be pushed away as Grammy might get her feeling hurt? :confused:

isis297

You may be right. I don't know. I just know how upset she is when we talk and my heart was breaking for them. Hell, I'm struggling watching my children grow up so fast. I can't imagine missing out on a year with any of them.

What does the acronym you mention stand for? If it involves CPS coming out to her home, they've done a whole bunch of steps and were in favor of her.

Just Blue

You may be right. I don't know. I just know how upset she is when we talk and my heart was breaking for them. Hell, I'm struggling watching my children grow up so fast. I can't imagine missing out on a year with any of them.

What does the acronym you mention stand for? If it involves CPS coming out to her home, they've done a whole bunch of steps and were in favor of her.
I guess you are "talking" to the Attorney that responded. That would be OhioGal. Please "quote" who are "talking" with. :)

Proserpina

I don't know any of you from Adam but it's very clear that at least one person involved in this mess needs psychiatric help and we cannot provide that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">