• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

crossing state lines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kelandart

What is the name of your state? nebraska

ok, here is another "off the wall" question.....fiance has joint custody of children (every other week, sunday to sunday)....all decisions are SUPPOSED to be made jointly. she is talking of moving to iowa (we don't know yet if she really is)....wants to use her mom's address in nebraska to keep kids in same school which we do not agree with....is she allowed to cross state lines without his permission to live without father's agreement? no, it is not that far, but farther and that is not the point.....can she do it? again, we want to find out now, before she does it. plus, what if she decides to put them in school over there? doesn't that have to be joint decision as well?

K

kelandart

unfortunately, it doesn't say anything about that....so it's hopeless, huh? i "assumed" that in any joint custody situation, one parent could not move across state lines w/ out the other's ok.....so, if she wanted to move to texas, we couldn't do anything? or can he have the decree amended? is it worth it?

K

kelandart

....can it be done while she is saying "might" move or not until we know for sure? thank you!!!

nextwife

I believe that a policy of pre-emptive strikes has been adopted here in the US.

Yes, I have heard of filings to prohibit such moves being done to protect against such a move, even if there is no move planned for certain.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">