• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custodial care of nephew-his mother died-ADVICE, PLEASE!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jaccc

What is the name of your state? Texas
My sister died this month, leaving an 11 year old son in my custody. I have 2 documents - General Power of Attorney and Declaration of Guardian In The Event of Incompetence or Need of Guardian. The child has a father somewhere, but he cannot be located. He also has a 23 year old sister who lives in Oklahoma. We are located in Texas. My sister was a drug addict and CPS intervened twice, giving me temporary custody both times. Now that my sister is gone, her daughter has volunteered to take the child to raise. I was told I have to notify CPS that my sister has died & get their approval for the child to be placed - is that ture? Also, how do I give custody to the sister? Can I take the child across the state line legally? Thank you for any advice.

J

jez51

whoever decides to take the child needs to file for guardianship, you'll need an attorney and it's not all that expensive to do....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">