• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

custody of grandson

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MattsGram

I need help. My grandson is 2 months old. In the short span of his life, we have kept him most of the time at the request of the parents. The parents have discussed letting us keep him during the week and bringing him home on weekends to them. This would last for about 1 or 2 months. They have squabbled about this for some time. There is no evidence of abuse or neglect, they just weren't ready for the responsibility. The other grand parents who live 4 hours away have now said they are going to get custody for 6 months to 1 year. They have seen the grandson for a couple of hours since he was born. We do not want our grandson to be that far away and never get to see him. Nor do his parents. They have not agreed to this situation. The other grandparents even instructed our daughter not to discuss this with anyone as they may changer her mind. We live in Indiana. Does anyone know what we should do? We would fight for him if it came to it. Please help us.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

MattsGram said:
I need help. My grandson is 2 months old. In the short span of his life, we have kept him most of the time at the request of the parents. The parents have discussed letting us keep him during the week and bringing him home on weekends to them. This would last for about 1 or 2 months. They have squabbled about this for some time. There is no evidence of abuse or neglect, they just weren't ready for the responsibility. The other grand parents who live 4 hours away have now said they are going to get custody for 6 months to 1 year. They have seen the grandson for a couple of hours since he was born. We do not want our grandson to be that far away and never get to see him. Nor do his parents. They have not agreed to this situation. The other grandparents even instructed our daughter not to discuss this with anyone as they may changer her mind. We live in Indiana. Does anyone know what we should do? We would fight for him if it came to it. Please help us.
My response:

They can say all they want. It doesn't matter anymore. The other grandparents can attempt to fight all they want, and it will be for nothing.

You see, since the advent of the United States Supreme Court decision in "Troxel vs. Granville" (July 2000), ONLY the parents of a child have the final say-so as to who the child sees, or lives with. The courts can no longer dictate the visitation schedule of a child in terms of third parties (grandparents, aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, etc.) over the parents' decision.

If a parent says, "My mother (the grandmother) shall not ever see my son again", then that's it. That decision stands. If a parent decides to allow grandparent visitation, or any other familial arrangements, it's on the terms that those parents decide, and not the court's.

The U.S. Supreme Court put family decisions back where they belong - - with the family.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">