• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody of neice also

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sjn5599

I have a similar question to worried_uncle. My sister is only 18 with an 8 month old baby girl. Her husband is in the Army and he is deploying on Wednesday for 6 to 8 months. They live in New York and I live in South Dakota. They have agreed to let me take my neice while he is gone, because my sister is doing drugs, she has no job and is basically a terrible parent. I have a feeling that in 6 to 8 months neither of them is going to take the initiative to get her back and I need to know what to do legally for the time when my neice is here. It isn't a problem to get them to sign over custody or whatever it is that I would need. Can anyone tell me where to start?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">