• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad Overstepping his Boundries ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WldNHDDPlatypus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH

Hi,
My children live with my ex husband and have revealed a situation I am sure is not legal. They claim as punishment thier father will confiscate gifts and possessions and routinely sell them and keep the money for himself. Several of these items were paid for by the kids themselves as they are teens and have worked for the money to buy them. Is this legal and if not, how do we go about addressing this situation?

thank you

WldNHDDPlatypus

ok, going a bit further...if one of the children (he turned 18 in November) moved out, could the dad hold his possesions, if he (the dad) thought he was owed money ??

cyjeff

That is always murky.

Anything left behind becomes a real legal pain to sort out.

If the kid is going to move out, I would recommend he take everything he wants with him.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
he wanted to take these things with him ,but dad refused to let him take them, because my son owed him some money.
thanks!
Dad cannot hold belongings of the children -- things that were either gifted to the children or bought by the children. Truthfully some courts would have a fit with him selling the children's belongings and keeping the money as punishment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">