• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dating laws on a 21 year old in louisiana dating a 16 year old in rhode island

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zestybelger

i live in louisiana and i have been dating a 16 year old from rhode island, for a while her parents were ok with it but now the mother is threatening to call the police and get a restraining order on me. if the father is still ok with me dating his daughter can the mother still get a restraining order on me and have me arrested? if anyone can answer this please do, i love her and i dont want to stop talking to her, but the mother has me worried about the restraning order and the threats of having me arrested. there has been no sexual activity of any kind and i have done nothing wrong. her mother is just paranoid and not trusting.

Last edited:

Proserpina

i live in louisiana and i have been dating a 16 year old from rhode island, for a while her parents were ok with it but now the mother is threatening to call the police and get a restraining order on me. if the father is still ok with me dating his daughter can the mother still get a restraining order on me and have me arrested? if anyone can answer this please do, i love her and i dont want to stop talking to her, but the mother has me worried about the restraning order and the threats of having me arrested. there has been no sexual activity of any kind and i have done nothing wrong. her mother is just paranoid and not trusting.
What are you asking?

Leave the underage kids alone and date someone on your own level.

Now please explain why you think it's ok to disobey and disrespect this child's parents.

zestybelger

What are you asking?

Leave the underage kids alone and date someone on your own level.

Now please explain why you think it's ok to disobey and disrespect this child's parents.
i was asking if it is possible for a mother to get a restraining order on her daughters boyfriend against her will, even if the father of the girl said it is ok for me to date her.

and i am not disobeying the parents because one of the two parents has given consent. it is the fact that the mother is threatening to call the police and get a restraining order on me if i do not cease communication with her daughter. that is the only thing i am trying to find out. and one last thing 5 years difference isnt much, it used to happen every day in the past. the fact that society is changing and the views of whats right and wrong are changing upsets me. if we truly love each other and i and her are willing to wait until she turns of age then what is so wrong of us speaking to each other?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Under some circumstances yes, it is possible.

It is also not impossible for you to find yourself with legal charges against you.

While 5 years is not much when two people are in their 40's, or maybe even their late 20's, it is a LOT of difference between 16 and 21. And if it isn't, that reflects very poorly on you.

single317dad

and i am not disobeying the parents because one of the two parents has given consent.
Maybe you'll understand this: Imagine there are two guards at the gate of a Justin Beiber concert. You ask if you can sneak in, because the show's already halfway over. One of them says, "Yeah, sure." The other refuses to allow it. Do you think you can go on in?

Federal law on the matter:

http://www.solresearch.org/~SOLR/rprt/USnatlAoC.asp

http://www.solresearch.org/~SOLR/rprt/USnatlAoC.asp

http://trac.syr.edu/laws/18/18USC02423.html

http://trac.syr.edu/laws/18/18USC02423.html

"Just for reference." :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Silverplum

How are you "dating" when you live in different states? Skype?

I don't consider it "dating" till somebody FEEDS and ENTERTAINS me. :cool:

Proserpina

i was asking if it is possible for a mother to get a restraining order on her daughters boyfriend against her will, even if the father of the girl said it is ok for me to date her.

and i am not disobeying the parents because one of the two parents has given consent. it is the fact that the mother is threatening to call the police and get a restraining order on me if i do not cease communication with her daughter. that is the only thing i am trying to find out. and one last thing 5 years difference isnt much, it used to happen every day in the past. the fact that society is changing and the views of whats right and wrong are changing upsets me. if we truly love each other and i and her are willing to wait until she turns of age then what is so wrong of us speaking to each other?

It used to be legal to "own" slaves.

Why can't I do that now? I mean it used to be okay...

Just Blue

You have posted this in the wrong forum. Please post again in the Criminal Law Forum. ;)
Thanks
Blue

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
When my daughter was 16, she had a "boyfriend" in another state - who was 21. I wasn't thrilled, but let them talk online - under supervision. It didn't take long for HER to figure out Junior was interested in a 16yo not because she was so mature (which she was, emotionally), but because HE was so immature. That ended that.

Seriously - a 21 yo adult should be looking to date people closer to his/her own age. Your "girl" deserves the chance to date BOYS her own age and experience things with her peers. Homecoming. Prom. Bonfires. Football games. Angsting over SATs and college applications. And so on and so forth. If you truly care about her? You will want those things for her.

Most "adults" who feel the need to date teens? Have maturity and control issues. If you ever grow up and have a daughter (in particular) of your own? You will understand what her mother feels about her daughter dating you.

Truid

You shouldn't be "dating" a minor

If you live in LA how can you be "dating" someone in Rhode Island? You might want to check on each state's statutory rape laws as well. A 21 year old man should not be "dating" a 16 year old girl.

davew128

If you live in LA how can you be "dating" someone in Rhode Island? You might want to check on each state's statutory rape laws as well. A 21 year old man should not be "dating" a 16 year old girl.
Well see there is this town in Rhode Island called Quahog. In Quahog lives a man named Glenn Quagmire. Nuff said.

FacelessMind

That IT!!!....CAN SOMEONE CALL CHRIS HANSEN......PLEASE!?

"Just take a seat. Take a seat right over there"

FacelessMind

Ok, in all seriousness... It's wrong. Yes the mother can make legal decisions on her MINOR child's behalf. Why? Because your girlfriend is a CHILD. Do you want to go to jail and be known as a sex offender who likes underage girls?

Why is a 21 year old interested in a 16 year old? Is it that you lack the maturity to date someone your own age? What attracts you to this minor?

And yes boo boo 5 years older than a 16 year old is a big difference. And using morally corrupt dad as a scapegoat to continue your questionable behavior is WRONG.

Have you even considered the strain you are putting on the girls PARENT'S marriage with one of them allowing it and the other valiantly fighting against it? Get it together, grow up, and find yourself a WOMAN (not a little girl) of age.

I give this a few more months before she does what every teen does and goes on to explore something else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">