• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealing with CPS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ds61557

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
I'm a 31 year old father of three wonderful children. I've been their primary caregiver all their lives until two months ago when cps accused me of almost killing one of my children and of abusing them. About six months ago, cps came into my life saying they had a report that I was abusing my children. After they were content that I wasn't abusive and saw how happy my children were and how well behaved they were, they closed my case. I couldn't understand why anyone would report them to me or who reported me.

Two months ago, they came back saying they'd had more complaints of abuse and that I had almost killed one of my children by putting drugs in his drink. After I heard the complaints that were made, I knew my childrens' mother had reported me both times. I was devistated! We hadn't been getting along. She wanted to get married but I refused until she got her bipolar under control. Our lives were in constant turmoil and when she was home, she spent very little time with the children. She yelled at them constantly. I couldn't do anything to please her. She constantly told me I was a peice of ****. At least my children loved me! They were constantly telling me so at the same time telling their mother to her face, they didn't like her. She started taking a backpack filled with party clothes and makeup to work with her. I was getting suspicious and started looking for any evidence of her cheating. Even though she password locked her phone and computer but found evidence of her cheating on me. I confronted her with what I'd found which had caused a big fight between us. I hoped she would just leave but knowing how controlling, manipulative and vindictive she is I guess I shouldn't have been so shocked at what she did. It's just that we'd been together 13 years and I never thought she would go as far as she did. I had been staying at my mom's for several days when she called saying cps was looking for me.

When I called cps, I was asked to come down and talk to them. They didn't believe anything I said calling me a liar and accused me of almost killing my child. I told them I hadn't even been in the home for several days but they continued to accuse me of putting something in his drink. They made me do a drug screen and said they would let me know the results.

In the meantime, my ex moved out and took my children. I know she just did that to hurt me because she openly admits she can't handle them. Her family knows she doesn't know how to take care of them and knows I do, One evening I decided to drive over to see if she was there so we could talk since she wouldn't answer my calls or texts. She was there but so were lots of other people moving her out. She really impressed them because they sent four sheriffs to move her out and into protective custody.

They didn't call me with the results for a week and a half. I knew something was wrong because it never takes that long to get results back. They informed me I had illegal drugs, which I've never taken, in my system in high doses...I'm still confused about how that happened unless they are lying...and that's possible because they've lied to me before. My caseworker asked me why I hadn't been calling in to give drug screens everyday. She called me a liar when I told her she hadn't asked me to. I asked her when I could see my children and she told me I could see them after I'd been clean for a week,

I will admit I went into a serious depression for about a week. I was so devistated and confused I couldn't function and didn't even call to see if I had to drop a urine for several days but it's been two months now. I've called every day, gone to give drug screens when I'm told to but I still haven't gotten to see my children. When I reminded my caseworker that she'd told me I could see my children after a week of clean urines, she denied saying it and said she had to see a pattern?? whatever that means???

I'm just really concerned about my children! I miss them so much and I know they miss me! They're being passed around in my ex's family now, to people they really don't know. I have no money and can't afford an attorney so I called legal aid but they won't help me since I don't have any charges against me. I feel like they're just messing with me, runnning me around in circles without a thought about how my children are dealing with this mess! I just don't understand how they can put so much belief in what my ex says and discredits everything I say, except that I haven't said anything negative to them about her and of course, her urines have been clean when they tested her but only because she knew when they were coming...I don't know what to do!!!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Has there been ANY court hearings so far? If not, you NEED an attorney. If there have been, you need to request counsel be appointed for you. CPS has no right to demand ANYTHING from you without a court order.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
She's good enough to have 3 kids with, but "too bi-polar" to marry. Interesting.

Yes, call lawyers. But, please, be honest with them.

helpwithcustody

what is the name of your state (only u.s. Law)? Ohio
i'm a 31 year old father of three wonderful children. I've been their primary caregiver all their lives until two months ago when cps accused me of almost killing one of my children and of abusing them. About six months ago, cps came into my life saying they had a report that i was abusing my children. After they were content that i wasn't abusive and saw how happy my children were and how well behaved they were, they closed my case. I couldn't understand why anyone would report them to me or who reported me.

Two months ago, they came back saying they'd had more complaints of abuse and that i had almost killed one of my children by putting drugs in his drink. After i heard the complaints that were made, i knew my childrens' mother had reported me both times. I was devistated! We hadn't been getting along. She wanted to get married but i refused until she got her bipolar under control. Our lives were in constant turmoil and when she was home, she spent very little time with the children. She yelled at them constantly. I couldn't do anything to please her. She constantly told me i was a peice of ****. At least my children loved me! They were constantly telling me so at the same time telling their mother to her face, they didn't like her. She started taking a backpack filled with party clothes and makeup to work with her. I was getting suspicious and started looking for any evidence of her cheating. Even though she password locked her phone and computer but found evidence of her cheating on me. I confronted her with what i'd found which had caused a big fight between us. I hoped she would just leave but knowing how controlling, manipulative and vindictive she is i guess i shouldn't have been so shocked at what she did. It's just that we'd been together 13 years and i never thought she would go as far as she did. I had been staying at my mom's for several days when she called saying cps was looking for me.

When i called cps, i was asked to come down and talk to them. They didn't believe anything i said calling me a liar and accused me of almost killing my child. I told them i hadn't even been in the home for several days but they continued to accuse me of putting something in his drink. They made me do a drug screen and said they would let me know the results.

In the meantime, my ex moved out and took my children. I know she just did that to hurt me because she openly admits she can't handle them. Her family knows she doesn't know how to take care of them and knows i do, one evening i decided to drive over to see if she was there so we could talk since she wouldn't answer my calls or texts. She was there but so were lots of other people moving her out. She really impressed them because they sent four sheriffs to move her out and into protective custody.

They didn't call me with the results for a week and a half. I knew something was wrong because it never takes that long to get results back. They informed me i had illegal drugs, which i've never taken, in my system in high doses...i'm still confused about how that happened unless they are lying...and that's possible because they've lied to me before. My caseworker asked me why i hadn't been calling in to give drug screens everyday. She called me a liar when i told her she hadn't asked me to. I asked her when i could see my children and she told me i could see them after i'd been clean for a week,

i will admit i went into a serious depression for about a week. I was so devistated and confused i couldn't function and didn't even call to see if i had to drop a urine for several days but it's been two months now. I've called every day, gone to give drug screens when i'm told to but i still haven't gotten to see my children. When i reminded my caseworker that she'd told me i could see my children after a week of clean urines, she denied saying it and said she had to see a pattern?? Whatever that means???

I'm just really concerned about my children! I miss them so much and i know they miss me! They're being passed around in my ex's family now, to people they really don't know. I have no money and can't afford an attorney so i called legal aid but they won't help me since i don't have any charges against me. I feel like they're just messing with me, runnning me around in circles without a thought about how my children are dealing with this mess! I just don't understand how they can put so much belief in what my ex says and discredits everything i say, except that i haven't said anything negative to them about her and of course, her urines have been clean when they tested her but only because she knew when they were coming...i don't know what to do!!!
i think you need a lawyer!!! Same thing very similar happened to me as well! I think cps is devious and will judge you from pasts! Not sure if they know about you from before but i also had a urine test come back positive for drugs that i never took in my urine after i had my baby but they tested her poop and it didn't have it so they did close the case but now they can mess with me whenever they want!!!!! I feel for you and am so sorry you are going through this sweetie:(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">