• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Death of a Spouse, Legal Claims Possesions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pattp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
I bought a very expensive wedding band set and an equally expensive anniversary set of Diamond rings for my wife. I have been paying monthly insurance premiums on both sets since I purchased them. My wife has a Terminal illness. She says if she dies, she's giving the rings to her grandchildren, I countered that I should get them I bought them and I have insured them, sho is right?:eek:

RRevak

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
I bought a very expensive wedding band set and an equally expensive anniversary set of Diamond rings for my wife. I have been paying monthly insurance premiums on both sets since I purchased them. My wife has a Terminal illness. She says if she dies, she's giving the rings to her grandchildren, I countered that I should get them I bought them and I have insured them, sho is right?:eek:
If she decides to have a Will made in which she states the rings are to go to her grandchildren than that's where they will go. If she does not than they will become part of the estate and therefor yours.

Ronin

Man, that's pretty sleezy arguing such a point with a wife with a terminal illness. Were you planning on saving these for the next Mrs? :eek:

Your wife is absolutely right.

These are her personal belongings and it is her choice to do whatever she wants with them, including bequeathing them to whoever she wishes.

Even if the will did not specify this, anyone with a shred of decency would honor the wishes of their spouse in such a matter.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If she decides to have a Will made in which she states the rings are to go to her grandchildren than that's where they will go. If she does not than they will become part of the estate and therefor yours.
He may or MAY NOT get the entire estate. Depends on if she had children other than his children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">