• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt after Death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melcarab

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Am I responsible for my fiance's student loans, credit cards, car payments if we marry and he dies? There are no current joint bank accounts. Should I avoid a joint bank account if we both have debt acquired before the marriage? What about our kids, can they be held responsible for their father's debt if we get married.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Am I responsible for my fiance's student loans, credit cards, car payments if we marry and he dies? There are no current joint bank accounts. Should I avoid a joint bank account if we both have debt acquired before the marriage? What about our kids, can they be held responsible for their father's debt if we get married.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
His estate will be held responsible. You will be held responsible for anything you cosign for.

LdiJ

If someone passes away, and they have debt, then their estate is responsible to settle the debt by selling assets to cover it, and then distributing the remainder to the heirs of the estate. Therefore, in a way, yes, either you or the children could end up responsible for the debt, in that you or the children would inherit fewer or perhaps no assets.

However, assets that pass outside the estate go directly to the beneficiary or joint tenant, therefore those assets are not part of the estate.

However, in my opinion if people marry when they are carrying a lot of debt, then its best if they keep their finances completely separate, and don't purchase joint assets.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">