• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debts and income taxes prior to marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KAREN24

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My boyfriend has brought up the subject of marriage. He is currently in $10,000.00 debt which is in collection. He, also, did not file income taxes for the years 2001, 2002, 2003. If we marry, can I be held responsible for any debts incurred before our relationship and marriage?
Also, I have great credit. How will his bad credit affect us as a couple (future home purchase)?
I will get a prenuptual agreement to protect my assets.

Thanks,
Karen

CALIF-LAWPRO5

KAREN24 said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

My boyfriend has brought up the subject of marriage. He is currently in $10,000.00 debt which is in collection. He, also, did not file income taxes for the years 2001, 2002, 2003. If we marry, can I be held responsible for any debts incurred before our relationship and marriage?
Also, I have great credit. How will his bad credit affect us as a couple (future home purchase)?
I will get a prenuptual agreement to protect my assets.

Thanks,
Karen

My response:

His debts will seriously impact your overall household income. Think three times about marrying this person - - especially in light of his current IRS problems, which may continue well into the future. Make sure you get the trailer.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">