+ Reply to Thread
    KAREN24 is offline Junior Member

Debts and income taxes prior to marriage

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My boyfriend has brought up the subject of marriage. He is currently in $10,000.00 debt which is in collection. He, also, did not file income taxes for the years 2001, 2002, 2003. If we marry, can I be held responsible for any debts incurred before our relationship and marriage?
    Also, I have great credit. How will his bad credit affect us as a couple (future home purchase)?
    I will get a prenuptual agreement to protect my assets.

Thanks,
    Karen
    CALIF-LAWPRO5 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KAREN24
    What is the name of your state? Virginia

My boyfriend has brought up the subject of marriage. He is currently in $10,000.00 debt which is in collection. He, also, did not file income taxes for the years 2001, 2002, 2003. If we marry, can I be held responsible for any debts incurred before our relationship and marriage?
    Also, I have great credit. How will his bad credit affect us as a couple (future home purchase)?
    I will get a prenuptual agreement to protect my assets.

Thanks,
    Karen

My response:

His debts will seriously impact your overall household income. Think three times about marrying this person - - especially in light of his current IRS problems, which may continue well into the future. Make sure you get the trailer.

IAAL