• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debts prior to marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

donvivi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I am about to marry my girlfriend. She has student loans and also is in debt to hospital because of an emergency operation (she was not covered by health insurance). She is still student and has no income to pay the debt.

This is the first marriage of us both. I am a foreign national and have assets back home but no assets or income in US (I have just arrived)

I wonder if I will be responsible for these debts she has had before marriage. Should I pay for her debts (in either case of we live happily or things do not go OK and we end up with a divorce) ?

Also I want to know how these debts will affects our future family. If she continue to be jobless and unable to pay the debt, what would happen? I am new to united states and do not know the law here.

I apperciate any help, (of course according to the VA law)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I am about to marry my girlfriend. She has student loans and also is in debt to hospital because of an emergency operation (she was not covered by health insurance). She is still student and has no income to pay the debt.

This is the first marriage of us both. I am a foreign national and have assets back home but no assets or income in US (I have just arrived)

I wonder if I will be responsible for these debts she has had before marriage. Should I pay for her debts (in either case of we live happily or things do not go OK and we end up with a divorce) ?

Also I want to know how these debts will affects our future family. If she continue to be jobless and unable to pay the debt, what would happen? I am new to united states and do not know the law here.

I apperciate any help, (of course according to the VA law)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You would not be responsible for her premarital debts, but those debts could effect your overall family finances.

donvivi

Is the girlfriend in DEFAULT of any loans? Is there plans to default?

Does she plan on WORKING to pay off the debt?
The hospital thing (operation) occured only 2 months ago. So I do not think she is default on it.

Ragarding the student loan, I do know. I should ask her, but she is still in school.
What is difference? beteen being default or not?

Yes, she has no source of money unless whe can work and pay back.

mistoffolees

Exactly how? Would you please give examples, since I am new to everything here.
What it means is that you could not open any joint accounts. You could not file taxes jointly (if there's a refund). And you probably wouldn't be able to buy a house since they usually want the financial information for both spouses.

She really needs to work with her creditors. If she can get an agreement with the hospital allowing her to continue her education and then work out a payment plan, that will work. Or, she may have to take a part time job while she's in school to start paying immediately. The key is that she needs their agreement on what they consider acceptable repayment - and then she needs to honor that plan.

School is about the same thing - but it may not be due yet. Some student loan programs do not require repayment until after the person leaves school. You would need more details about the debt to be sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">