• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deceased mothers ashes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wellslee

What is the name of your state? new jersey our mother died in 1985 she was creamated and her 4 children still don't have her ashes.our aunt refusses to give them to us.how can she do this ?we want closeure what can we do? our aunt say's it has nothing to do with money.we barely talk and when we do it turns into an argument and then we are diconnected please help we are tired of this war,hurt,and rightfully believe they belong with us sincerly wellslee

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

wellslee said:
What is the name of your state? new jersey our mother died in 1985 she was creamated and her 4 children still don't have her ashes.our aunt refusses to give them to us.how can she do this ?we want closeure what can we do? our aunt say's it has nothing to do with money.we barely talk and when we do it turns into an argument and then we are diconnected please help we are tired of this war,hurt,and rightfully believe they belong with us sincerly wellslee

My response:

Ashes are "personal property", like your television set, your car, or anything else that is "tangible."

The fact of the matter is that it has been about 17 years now, and any Statute of Limitations has expired to claim ownership of that "property."

You've heard that "possession is 9/10 of the law"? Well, in this case it's 10/10.

It's over and Auntie wins.

IAAL

Last edited:
J

jesjos

Does this aunt not understand the importance of the ashes to you ........

You guys are her children, I think you deserve the rights over your mothers sister....Just try and talk to her, I am sure you have done this, but ask her if she was to die would she want her children to have the ashes? Explain to her that you guys are your mothers children, her pride and joy, and that losing your mother, is hard, and you still have not had closure.

Maybe all of you should sprinkle the ashes some where peaceful, maybe your mothers favorite place. That way her not only is her sole at peace but as for all of you.

just a thought

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">