• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dfacs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mandy7181

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I have a question concerning "child abuse investigation". I had my daughter 8/23/2001 after a very difficult pregnancy. I had gone into premature labor. The ambulance came to my house and took me to the hospital. Due to extreme discomfort and limatations placed on me my house was not spotless(a few dishes in the sink, some papers around the living room and the floors needed mopped). Also the bottoms of my feet were dirty because i chose to walk around barefoot. this was my first child and there was no indication that i would be abusive. At the hospital they informed me that the paramedic had filed potential abuse papers with DFACS. As a result i went through months of random inspections and child care classes. I would never abuse my child as i have been abused and know how it feels. Also my child is extremely advanced for her age--can identify 4 colors at 11 months and speak 75 words plainly combining some into 2 word sentences--something that would not take place in an abusive home.

Because of all this, im terrified to discipline my daughter in public or even let her cry it out at night. I have lost sleep because i live in fear that DFACS will take my baby away for no reason.

Was it legal for them to conduct an investigation like that when there was no report of actual suspected abuse.

kat1963

Yes, because you stipulated, therefore you agreed to have all that stuff instead of going before the judge and making them get a court order. Do yourself a favor here and start looking into your parental rights...they aren't going to tell you what they are! My advice, MOVE TO ANOTHER STATE. They may never, ever, leave you alone now. They like children under 5, more adoptable that way.
KAT

L

lamason1

I agree move far, far away from Georgia, they are a very sleasy state. Run like you have never run before!

ellencee

mandy7181
It was legal and unfortunately (because of all the neglectful and abusive parents in this world, including SC), the EMT was under a 'duty' to report; and, DSS or DFACS was under a 'duty' to assess and intervene.

There is a difference in discipline, punishement, and abuse. I'm sure you know the differences and don't need any of us to define them for you.

Don't live in fear. You have a duty to protect your child through developing proper behavior. An 11 month old doesn't need discipline further than saying 'no' or removing them from the circumstances if they won't listen to 'no'.

I would say that it's not right to let an 11 month-old 'cry it out' at night, but I have left my infant, safely in her bed, crying for no apparently curable reason, and sat on the front steps crying, too. I wouldn't think you would want to let her cry it out on a regular basis because there could be an underlying problem, but sometimes, it's just the thing to do.

Good luck and best wishes.

mandy7181

KAT1963, First off, you dont live in Ga, and second, what is yourproblem, "Yes, because you stipulated, therefore you agreed to have all that stuff instead of going before the judge and making them get a court order. Do yourself a favor here and start looking into your parental rights...they aren't going to tell you what they are! My advice, MOVE TO ANOTHER STATE. They may never, ever, leave you alone now. They like children under 5, more adoptable that way.
KAT" Thats bull, we didnt stipulate anything, plus also in my further study, and my husbands study, They had no right to barge into my home, or even inspect my home, as we found out today, all DFACS inspections of the home are able to be denied by the home owner/parent and they cannot come into my home,

Also they came to my mothers home where we were staying the day I got out of the hospital , and it was on a Saturday, and a DFACS worker showed up at my mothers home, where she cleans everything with bleach and is constantly cleaning cause she has OCD, and they still tried to say that even with my mothers help they would still be investigating. Which according to some information passed along to us, the EMT had no right to file that report because at that time the child was unborn, and there was no immediate danger to my child. So in the case of this whole thing DFACS was wrong in doing what they did because they didnt even follow thier own procedures. Which anyone will tell you, especially in Government related offices if proper procedure is not followed the suit (case) cannot be followed up do to improper handling of the case.
:D

ellencee

Georgia does have some law/regulation about living conditions and the probable effects on a child when it is born, and on homes where the mother is not wed, and the duty of any health care person or officer to report certain circumstances.
I do not know the exact law/regulation, but I know someone that does and I will try and see if I can get in touch with her.
Before anyone screams really loud about GA, let me give you the reason for this regulation. GA has an incredibly high infant mortality rate and an incredibly high rate of premature births. Like many other states, Georgia has an incredibly high rate of babies born out of wedlock. This measure was adopted in hopes of reducing infant mortality.
It may or may not have been the right action to take, but I will say it was a well-meaning attempt to save the lives of infants.
In my opinion, the MCCG is a powerful political machine disquised as a hospital. In my opinion, you can bet your bottom dollar MCCG was behind this action.
Someday, I think I'll write a tell-all book about that place and run like crazy to some foreign country for protection!:p

ps--I'm very neglectful of indicating when I'm joking, so I've added a smile and this note; don't send the hit men, yet.

Last edited:

kat1963

"As a result i went through months of random inspections and child care classes. "

Well Mandy if you didn't stipulate to attend these classes and home inspections then how did they come about? Did you signed up for them yourself or what? Is it my fault you didn't know what your parental rights were until now? NO. Of course they are going to take advantage of that.

Sorry Dear, I don't have a problem except trying to figure out why you are incredibly rude. There, I wasted 2 seconds of my life on you and I'm over it. I've been helping others deal with these people for over 3 years now, I think I know my way around the system a little better then you do. Georgia, Florida, Alaska, it's all the same game. It's all on how it's played. You think you have it all figured out, okay. Maybe they'll stop playing with you, then again.... maybe not....and before you know it all hell has broken loose. Heck, I've even seen these people make false abuse hot line calls just to obtain warrents to enter. If they want you, they'll stop at nothing to destroy you and your family...like I said, they like them young. More adoptable that way and it gets them more federal $$$.

KAT

mandy7181

Kat, where i live in georgia--if DFACS decides that they want you to attend parenting classes or that they want to inspect your home, it gets done. If I had known then what i know now about things, i would have refused. But when you spend all your childhood as a ward of the state---you do everything within your power to keep your child from living through the same thing. Oh and by the way--the case is closed now. Guess they gave up and actually focused their efforts where they were needed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">