• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Di I have the right to say he must leave?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mercurydcb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

My wife of 20 years wants her 35 year old son from another marriage to live with us for an extended period of time - probably a year ot two.

He has spent most of his adult life in prison and just recently completed a 5 year term.

If my wife wants him to live with us but I do not want him living with me, do I have the legal right to not allow him to live in my house?

The title of the house is in both our names.

Thank you

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

My wife of 20 years wants her 35 year old son from another marriage to live with us for an extended period of time - probably a year ot two.

He has spent most of his adult life in prison and just recently completed a 5 year term.

If my wife wants him to live with us but I do not want him living with me, do I have the legal right to not allow him to live in my house?

The title of the house is in both our names.

Thank you
Let me answer your question with a statement and then a question: It is your house. Why on earth would you have to live in an uncomfortable state in your own home?

Tell your wife that if she wants to support her life-long convict son to get an apartment for him herself, but you will not subject your life and your home to turmoil.

If you allow him to move in, it will take an eviction to get him out. You do not want to go there.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Let me answer your question with a statement and then a question: It is your house. Why on earth would you have to live in an uncomfortable state in your own home?

Tell your wife that if she wants to support her life-long convict son to get an apartment for him herself, but you will not subject your life and your home to turmoil.

If you allow him to move in, it will take an eviction to get him out. You do not want to go there.
By the same token (and, it's unfortunate for the OP), it's HER house too.

mercurydcb

He was only going to stay for a little while

Originally her son was only going to live with us for about a month until he got a job and found a place to live. I was fine with that but now this has morphed into something completely different.

I want to be understanding but the prospect of living with this convicted felon (who has a short fuse at times) and has a drinking problem is daunting. Currently we have no alcohol in the house and so drinking is not an issue.

How involved is the eviction process if it comes to that?

Thanks

Antigone*

How involved is the eviction process if it comes to that?

Thanks
We couldn't help you there, you didn't tell us what state you are in. I suggest you google, eviction process in your state. Inform yourself and then share that information with your wife.

If it ever came to that it would not be pretty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">