• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The Difference between Custody and Guardianship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

loucksn

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I have Custody of my nephew that is 16 years old. His mother passed away in Dec of 2000. The court granted Joint custody to myself and his grandmother after a long court battle against his father. His father has visititation rights via the parenting guidelines law. His Grandmother passed away July of this year. I am trying to fill out the paper work for her insurance and they are asking for guardianship or proof of guardianship. I have full custody but it doesnt say guardianship. Is there a difference here and what do I need to do to fill this out correctly?

Thanks

4gals1guy

I would just give them whatever it is you have, whether it's called guardianship or custody. Were the father's parental rights taken away? I asume so -- otherwise he'd have custody and you've have guardianship. Does he exercise visitation? I'm just curious because our situation involves similarities...

D

DeeKayH

QUOTE {I would just give them whatever it is you have, whether it's called guardianship or custody.}

4gals1guy: Hi, loucksn's sister here, The problem with that is, they want to set the money up in a low interest bank account, instead of allowing loucksn to add the money to his trust which will add up to considerably more. All because of those 2 words! This seems absurd to all of us.
However the trust was originally set before the custody battle with the paternal father, so he could not get to any of the insurance money. Oh, and to answer your question, No, he doesn't exercise custody. The son has tried to talk to and see him but he refuses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">