• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

difference between nullity of void marriage & voidable marr?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

ibstarkraven

What is the name of your state? california

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ibstarkraven said:

My response:

Some marriages, though defective, are simply "voidable" rather than "void" (e.g., because of minority, fraud or force). A voidable marriage (unlike a "void" marriage, which is invalid per se) is valid unless and until adjudged a nullity; and it may be terminated by judgment of dissolution unless the party entitled to have it annulled raises the issue of nullity.

A voidable marriage (Ca Fam § 2210) is valid for all civil purposes between the parties and against the world until adjudged a nullity; i.e., the marriage is invalidated only from the time it is so declared by a court of competent jurisdiction.

Moreover, with the passage of time, a voidable marriage may, for all practical purposes, become a valid (nonvoidable) marriage . . . because a proceeding to annul a voidable marriage must be commenced within statutorily-prescribed time limits. [Ca Fam § 2211] Once the applicable statutory period expires, a judicial termination of marital status and adjudication of the bundle of rights and responsibilities incident thereto must proceed by an ordinary marriage dissolution.

IAAL

B

Boxcarbill

ibstarkraven said:
A void marriage is one that doesn't legally exist--e.g. because of a prior undissolved marriage. A voidable marriage is one that legally exists but can be avoided on some basis--e.g. fraud.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Re: difference between nullity of void marriage & voidable marr?

Boxcarbill said:

"A voidable marriage is one that legally exists but can be avoided on some basis--e.g. fraud."

===========================

My response:

No. A marriage based upon "fraud" is void in California. It's not merely "voidable." Fraud makes the marriage void "ab initio."

However, if the two stay "married" despite the fraud, or other "void" grounds (such as incest), then the issue of "putative spouse" comes into play - - especially upon the issue of "property." But, that's a whole other 18 pages of explanation.

IAAL

B

Boxcarbill

Re: Re: Re: difference between nullity of void marriage & voidable marr?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
Boxcarbill said:

"A voidable marriage is one that legally exists but can be avoided on some basis--e.g. fraud."

===========================

My response:

No. A marriage based upon "fraud" is void in California. It's not merely "voidable." Fraud makes the marriage void "ab initio."

However, if the two stay "married" despite the fraud, or other "void" grounds (such as incest), then the issue of "putative spouse" comes into play - - especially upon the issue of "property." But, that's a whole other 18 pages of explanation.

IAAL

Interesting. In Texas the only two void marriages are a prior existing marriage and a marriage to one of the listed ancestor/descendent by the whole blood, half blood or adoption.

The voidable marriages are fraud, duress, and force, impotency, and half dozen more grounds but the marriage becomes valid if the parties lives with the person after discovery of the grounds. Etc..

But interesting how the basis of a "void" and "voidable" marriage vary among the states, although the meaning of the words are the same.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Re: Re: Re: difference between nullity of void marriage & voidable marr?

Boxcarbill said:
Interesting. In Texas the only two void marriages are a prior existing marriage and a marriage to one of the listed ancestor/descendent by the whole blood, half blood or adoption.

The voidable marriages are fraud, duress, and force, impotency, and half dozen more grounds but the marriage becomes valid if the parties lives with the person after discovery of the grounds. Etc..

But interesting how the basis of a "void" and "voidable" marriage vary among the states, although the meaning of the words are the same.

My response:

Well, I'm just as mystified with our Legislature sometimes, as I'm sure you are with yours.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">