• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disabled Mother Turns Guardianship Of Her Child To Her Parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mantrabowen

Mississippi... I was 26 when I gave birth to a son and soon came down with R.A., I turned legal guardianship over to my parents so that they could claim him under their insurance with South Central Bell. I have custody of him ,but they are the legal guardians, his father pays child support supposedley to me but I have never recieved it, part of my Social Security Disability goes to them and I have never recieved that either, he is nearing 18 yrs. old, as of this month. Was I supposed to be getting his child support and his part of my social security all these years? How can I make sure they have done the right thing with all of that money? What are my rights of having custody and them having legal guardianship? Also , I have always had custody and have learned that the papers that I signed years ago were only temporary guardianship, it never went before a judge, it was not a permanent guardianship.

Last edited:

LegalBeagle

Mantrabowen said:
Mississippi... I was 26 when I gave birth to a son and soon came down with R.A., I turned legal guardianship over to my parents so that they could claim him under their insurance with South Central Bell. I have custody of him ,but they are the legal guardians, his father pays child support supposedley to me but I have never recieved it, part of my Social Security Disability goes to them and I have never recieved that either, he is nearing 18 yrs. old, as of this month. Was I supposed to be getting his child support and his part of my social security all these years? How can I make sure they have done the right thing with all of that money? What are my rights of having custody and them having legal guardianship? Also , I have always had custody and have learned that the papers that I signed years ago were only temporary guardianship, it never went before a judge, it was not a permanent guardianship.
If the CS and SSD went to your parents and they were in fact raising the child, then I do not see a problem. Regardless of any type of court order, the process was correct. I am confused why you think you should have been getting this money when your parents were raising the child??

M

Mantrabowen

In reply to your response, my son has lived with me over half of his life.

LegalBeagle

If which case either a) you should have sorted this out when the child was living with you, or b) your parents should have given you the money. The fact that they took the money even though they did not have the child is disgraceful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">