• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disowning Family Members

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

somesay

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

Is it possible to legally disown siblings, parents, and all other family members? I only ask because if something were ever to happen to me, I wouldn't want any of my legal problems or debts to transfer to my family. Also, if I did disown my family, would there be any documents indicating our previous relationship, and if so, which would they be?

Thank you

Your family is not responsible for your debts. If you are a minor and caused damage to property, then they would be on the hook since you were their responsibility AT THE TIME of the offense.

If they co-signed for something you owe on, disowning them will not help. You could only refinance into your own name.

And, if some gang is gunnng for you and that's why something may 'happen to you', then I doubt said gang would recognize a disowning after the fact.

If you are planning on something happening to you by your choice, you need to get some help quickly. It's not worth it.

somesay

Fortunately, it's nothing that extreme. So, hypothetically, after my death, family members would only be liable for a debt if they had cosigned in the beginning?

That is correct. The only other thing is if you are leaving behind any money or insurance payouts, the creditors would be paid before whatever is left is distributed as inheritance.

somesay

Thank you. I just wanted to understand the subject fully before making some financial decisions (all legal, of course... :). Thanks again.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That is correct. The only other thing is if you are leaving behind any money or insurance payouts, the creditors would be paid before whatever is left is distributed as inheritance.
Wrong. Insurance payouts would NOT be used to pay debts first. Those pass outside of probate and go to the beneficiary.

LdiJ

You are not correct about the life insurance payouts. Life insurance passes outside of the estate therefore is not normally available to creditors. In addition, it also depends on the ownership of the policy.

If the beneficiary of the policy is also the owner of the policy, then it absolutely cannot be touched by creditors.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">