• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce granted/in contempt not paying settlement was granted a divorce in sept 2002

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Helen H Calder

florida is state have filed contempt of court but ignored

Florida is the state. Filed contempt and hearing was not held because his lawyer said she did not know where he was. have filed another contempt hearing set, but they are making attempts still of not paying How can they get by with not paying my half of the settlement:confused:

karma1

Ah, heres your question...

and it makes little sense to me...
filing contempt is just the first part and you provided little details for anyone to respond, I think.
There has to be more details--what is the settlement for? sounds like a continuance was granted and if the other party doesnt show up again for court, you could possibly win by default, but win what?
what was the contempt for to begin with?
who is "they" as in "They are still making attempts of still not paying?
do you have a lawyer?

H

Helen H Calder

I do have a lawyer. I don't get the answers I need. Ex was to pay me settlement from divorce. I was to receive the settlement by end of January. I got word he was not paying as there were other issues he wanted resolved, but now lawyer showed up for contempt of court hearing and he has filed nothing to show he has issues to be resolved. Another hearing is set for April 14. What happens if he does not show up again and no lawyer shows up for him and nothing has been filed showing he wants a hearing on "other issues" What if he remains in contempt. Does he ever have to pay me? I thought the legal system made someone carry out a court order????????? His daughter has Power of Attorney for him and is the one refusing to pay. Aren't people who refuse to follow court orders supposed to go to jail and/or pay a fine. My question is how can he continue to just not pay the court order settlement?

HomeGuru

This writer has stated in a previous post that she does not need smart answers.
So anyone responding, please comply.

julbug66

a) get a new lawyer
b) the courts can order all they want, but it's tough making someone they cant find pay anything....

djohnson

Ok homey how this

1. go to the zoo even if it's closed, just wait outside

2. when it finally opens go to the elephants

3. in the 5th crap of the day there will be message inside

4. read the message through 3D glasses

5. follow the directions

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">