• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do family members have the right to know of a family death?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Arthur111

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi,

Yesterday I learned that one of my sisters passed away several weeks ago. Her live-in partner didn't plan to tell us surviving siblings, as my sister had become estranged from us over the years. I learned of her death only when another relative happened to mention it, assuming I already knew.

I contacted my sister's partner, and he insisted I not inform my other sisters.

I told him I would not divulge the circumstances of my sister's death (which my relative also mentioned, and which are particularly sad). However, I told him that no matter what kind of relationship they had with her, I felt my other sisters had a basic right to know she had died, and that I feel negligent and disrespectful concealing it from them.

Do family members have an actual legal right to know about the death of another family member? If so, that would save a lot of time and argument. Thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Hi,

Yesterday I learned that one of my sisters passed away several weeks ago. Her live-in partner didn't plan to tell us surviving siblings, as my sister had become estranged from us over the years. I learned of her death only when another relative happened to mention it, assuming I already knew.

I told him I would not divulge the circumstances of my sister's death (which my relative also mentioned, and which are particularly sad). However, I told him that no matter what kind of relationship they had with her, I felt my other sisters had a basic right to know she had died, and that I feel negligent and disrespectful concealing it from them.

Do family members have an actual legal right to know about the death of another family member? If so, that would save a lot of time and argument. Thanks!
Not solely based on them being related...no.

Proserpina

Hi,

Legally there is nothing compelling your sister's partner to tell any of your family - including you.

Isis1

you or anyone else does not have a legal right to be informed.

it is quite possible it was requested this information was being asked to be kept from you and other siblings by her own wishes.

tranquility

The only requirement of family members to be informed would be because they were beneficiaries in a trust or heirs in probate. Then the requirement would fall to the trustee or executor/administrator.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The only requirement of family members to be informed would be because they were beneficiaries in a trust or heirs in probate. Then the requirement would fall to the trustee or executor/administrator.
I thought I said that? ;) :p :cool:

Arthur111

Thanks very much for your replies. What a complicated situation. I'll try to figure out the right thing to do.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
This is not a legal dilemma its a moral one. If it were me, I would tell the rest of the family.
And I am somewhat torn, being in a similar situation with my sibling. While I would certainly tell him if it were our parents, or the one child of mine he actually likes, I likely would not were it were my other child, nor would I care much if he wasn't informed of my passing. I've offered too many olive branches to care - it would make no difference. I'm sure the one child would (eventually) tell him. Sure wouldn't make any difference to me.

In this situation? We have no idea of what led to the estrangement, what (if any) efforts were made from whom to bridge the gap, or if the non-notification was at the request of the deceased. Would the remaining siblings even care?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">