• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have rights living in my sister"s home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

c1cdj

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

I'll try to be as brief as possible. My sister and I were both born and raised in Florida. I lost my job in 2012 at age 60. I had a home and 2 roommates that I'd let live with me because they had lost their jobs as well. I took care of them until both found jobs and decided to stay. After 14 mos, my unemployment ran out and I'd still been unable to find employment, so they agreed to “carry” me till I made it to 62 and I could then receive Social Security. I had 16 mos to go. I started a small dog sitting venture that took care of my personal needs and my own 2 pets, an Amazon parrot I'd raised from an egg and is now 31 years old and my 4 year old dog.
Life was ok. First an email then countless phone calls from my sister begging me to come live with her, create memories, she needed me, this was to be my forever home, she loved me, etc.. I made her aware that I had physical and emotional problems and required a doctor's care and medication. She is a nurse and said not to worry.
This went on for 3 weeks with me begging her to be sure this was what she wanted. She sent a son-in-law to get me, pets and stuff. I gave away my entire 3 bedroom house of furniture, left all my friends and was driven across country because I'm afraid to fly and did not want to be separated from my pets.
Things went south after 10 days of my being here. She was demoted at work, brought all of the anger home and took it out on the kids and I. I was “punished' by being denied all of my “southern” foods, called down and humiliated in front of everyone for my food choices, language and the way I dressed. She put me out of the car in the middle of town just for asking if I could have a hamburger screaming at me in front of the kids for my “filthy food” choices. I had to ask for directions and was ready to walk 3 miles back when she came and got me 30 min later. She then just up and decided I had to go. My 62 birthday is in March. I cannot even apply for Social Security until December. I have no where to go, no money to go with and my dog and bird to take care of. I now don't even own a bed to sleep on.
My question is this: do I have any rights at all? She now gives me no money at all so I cannot even buy toothpaste. I am forced to stay in my room on the third floor and not allowed to have interactions with the family. She yelled at me 2 days ago and said she was going to fly me back and send my pets and what little stuff I have later. I said I could not get on a plane nor would I leave my pets, that I had rights as a human being. She said “not in MY house!” then told me she would kill me and my pets in my sleep if I spoke to anyone about this or caused her any trouble. I am now terrified. I try to only sleep during the day when she is at work and, if I do manage to sleep at night, I do it in my chair.
What if anything can I do. I need some advice quickly.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You can go to a shelter. You can stay until she evicts you. You have no right to remain there forever or even for very long if she gives you proper notice. If you are fearful however, you should go to a shelter.

RRevak

Why are you not even attempting to work? Why are you mooching off friends and family? Why are YOU dictating food choices when YOU aren't the one paying for them? Why are YOU dictating ANYTHING in a situation where you are contributing absolutely nothing? You are dependent solely on others which means you eat pretty much what you are given, you live by the rules set forth in the abode where you are living for FREE, and you do pretty much what you're told to do or not do. Those are the things people who are living off the kindness of others do. NOT sit around and whine because they don't get their "southern" food, NOT sit around and whine that they don't get the hamburger someone else doesn't want to pay for, and they certainly do NOT tell someone who is being generous enough to provide for you how you wish to live in THEIR house. :mad: :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">