• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Doctor won't sign Death Certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

glo615

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ.

My dad died in California on June 30th this year...(I live in NJ). The primary doctor, or any other doctor, in the Hollywood Hospital where he died, still has not signed the death certificate after multiple request by the funeral director in LA. I cannot proceed on his life insurance policies, SSI checks (checks issued prior to his death), etc. without a death certificate.

I don't know how I can get this doctor to move on signing the death certificate. It is now six weeks after my dad has died. Is the doctor legally bound to sign this certificate and is there any action to push him along I should try before going to an attorney. Thank you.

Phil

HomeGuru

My dad died in California on June 30th this year...(I live in NJ). The primary doctor, or any other doctor, in the Hollywood Hospital where he died, still has not signed the death certificate after multiple request by the funeral director in LA. I cannot proceed on his life insurance policies, SSI checks (checks issued prior to his death), etc. without a death certificate.

I don't know how I can get this doctor to move on signing the death certificate. It is now six weeks after my dad has died. Is the doctor legally bound to sign this certificate and is there any action to push him along I should try before going to an attorney. Thank you.

Phil
**A: tell him to sign it or another Dr. will be signing his.

glo615

There is no inquest, nor any investigation pertaining to my dad's death. My dad was in the hospital about a month before he died. He had surgery about 5 days prior to his death and died of an infection caused by his diabetes.

Gracie3787

Phil
This is something that might take a strongly worded letter from an attorney to fix. Do you have a probate attorney yet?
If you do, ask the attorney what can be done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">