• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Document signed, stating my mother had no children.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MLP5813

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I am wondering what purpose it would serve my estranged family members to sign documents stating that my deceased mother had no children when there are 3 of us. Apparently, one of the estranged told one of my siblings this information out of spite, long after it happened. I want to know if there is a way to find out if it is true. I don't understand why they would go to the trouble when we can easily prove we are her children with birth certificates. Although, the signing did take place overseas in my mother's native country and being that her name was changed when she emigrated to the U.S. maybe we could get lost in the paper shuffle. Or maybe they know we will never have enough money to afford an attorney that may be able to look into it for us.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I am wondering what purpose it would serve my estranged family members to sign documents stating that my deceased mother had no children when there are 3 of us. Apparently, one of the estranged told one of my siblings this information out of spite, long after it happened. I want to know if there is a way to find out if it is true. I don't understand why they would go to the trouble when we can easily prove we are her children with birth certificates. Although, the signing did take place overseas in my mother's native country and being that her name was changed when she emigrated to the U.S. maybe we could get lost in the paper shuffle. Or maybe they know we will never have enough money to afford an attorney that may be able to look into it for us.
Has her property been probated? If not, sounds like they are making a play for anything and everything she owned.

MLP5813

Has her property been probated? If not, sounds like they are making a play for anything and everything she owned.
My sibling did say they wanted to make sure we didn't inherit anything, but as far as we know my mother didn't have anything to inherit. I thought about the person in question, but they have a spouse and children, who will probably have children someday, they would be entitled to their wealth, not us. Unless, something catastrophic happened while they were all in one place at one time and we were all of the blood line that was left... and they forgot to make out a will.. etc. etc. ..I don't know.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">