• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does live-in partner have rights to assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Micheal852

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon
If my live-in partner (we have no formal domestic partner agreement) and I have ended our relationship, does the partner have any grounds to ask that I pay for an alternate place for her to live, give her money from the sale of my property, prevent me from selling my property? I owned the property before she moved in. I have made all house payments and paid for all utilities and upkeep. She has only made alterations such as painting walls, moving her furniture in, decorative landscaping. I have asked her to leave and she refuses saying that it is her home, too. If I proceed with an eviction, does she have any domestic partner rights that might prevent the eviction or force me to give her any of my assets?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Is she on the deed or mortgage? Is the on the title to any property? Do you have joint bank accounts with her?
She is right that she does not have to leave until you evict her.

Micheal852

She is not on the deed or the mortgage. We do not have any joint bank accounts. We did purchase a car together and are both responsible for the loan. The car is the only item we own jointly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">