• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does she have rights to property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tktaz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska
My ex that I broke up with was listed on the house deed as Joint Tenancy with Rights of Surivorship. Now that she no longer lives here is she entitled to half of what the house is valued at? The loan is soley in my name and Nebraska has Iniative 416 that states

" Only marriage between a man and a woman shall be valid or recognized in Nebraska. The uniting of two persons of the same sex in a civil union, domestic partnership, or other similar same-sex relationship shall not be valid or recognized in Nebraska".

And can I have her name taken off the deed?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
" Only marriage between a man and a woman shall be valid or recognized in Nebraska. The uniting of two persons of the same sex in a civil union, domestic partnership, or other similar same-sex relationship shall not be valid or recognized in Nebraska".
Are you both women?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She owns the house as well. You can't have her removed from the deed just because you are no longer together. If you want her off the deed, buy her out. Or file a partition suit to force the sale and you can, as the saying goes, buy her out on the courthouse steps. But you bought a home. The deed of the house controls. Not some nonexistent domestic partnership. Marriage does not control deeds or ownership. It may help determine property after a split up but you don't have that out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">