• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does Sole Custody, sole Guardianship give you legal rights to change babys last name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Carlo

My fiance just recently filed in Probate court for Sole Custody. After proving herself through three different hearings, investigation by social worker, and court appointed 18 month old daughter's lawyer, the judge motioned for her to have sole legal custody and sole guardianship and that the baby remained with the mother (my fiance) wherever she may go.

My questiion is since my fiance won custody and guardianship from the father (he never even bothered to show up at court) she would like to change the baby's last name to hers. She has been the one taking care of the baby since birth and I can understand this. I was just curious if she is legally allowed to do it. The judge did say the father has no say in his daughters life and that visitation would solely be at the discretion of my fiance.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">