• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

domestic partner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maw28409

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
My partner and I have been together a little over 5 years. I think we're about to break up - he's cheating. When we first got together, we moved to Wilmington NC and bought a house together. He got a VA loan (he's former military) in his name, so my name is nowhere on the home. After me singlehandedly paying the mortgage for two years (he is partly disabled and doesn't work,) I know if/when we break up he will want to sell the house. (We had a fight once and he threatened to sell the house out from under me.) My credit sucks, thanks to stupid decisions made in college (many years ago.) I have looked into mortgages on my own, but don't have the credit to get one. If I've been the one paying for two years, do I have any recourse? I don't want to lose what I've worked so hard to keep.

cracker

Common law marriage is not recognized in nc and cohabitation is not legal. You probably won't have any recourse. From what I have heard, (and I guess I could be wrong) those are just the consequenses of "playing house" You could try to sue him, but since you were living there too, it will just be considered paying your share. My advise? Marry the little turd, suck it up for a few years, then divorce him.

maw28409

Domestic partner

We cannot get married. There are only a couple states that would let us, and NC is not one of them.

maw28409

We filed domestic partnership papers, for one of my work benefits. That was a few years ago, and I no longer carry that benefit (having changed jobs.) I've contacted that company regarding getting a copy of that form, but so far have not received anything. As I recall it was a simple form, stating that we live together in a mutually exclusive, non-related-by-blood relationship and had for a certain amount of time, with the intent of doing so indefinitely. I don't think any mention was made specifically of the house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">