• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domestic partner on Health Insurance, am I liable for his health debts?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maidmargoe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello,
I want to put my partner on my health care plan offered by my employer. I can do this by designating him as my domestic partner, showing them 2 different documents to establish this. It would not be an official county registering. What I have learned from friends, is that both partners have the same health care insurance number. I would like to know if I would be liable for his health care debt? Unfortunately, he has been diagnosed with cancer, so I expect that the bills will soon start coming in. Also, will this also expose me to any other debt that he has?
Thanks, maidmargoe

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello,
I want to put my partner on my health care plan offered by my employer. I can do this by designating him as my domestic partner, showing them 2 different documents to establish this. It would not be an official county registering. What I have learned from friends, is that both partners have the same health care insurance number. I would like to know if I would be liable for his health care debt? Unfortunately, he has been diagnosed with cancer, so I expect that the bills will soon start coming in. Also, will this also expose me to any other debt that he has?
Thanks, maidmargoe
Are you sure that you are allowed to put him on your insurance when he already has a pre-existing condition?

However, no, that shouldn't make you liable for his debts.

seniorjudge

However, no, that shouldn't make you liable for his debts.

This is a brand-new wide-open field of law that lawyers will be litigating long after we're all dead and gone.

So we can't make certain statements just right yet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">