• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domestic partners in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redips

I'm in California.

My questions:
Would a same-sex couple who lives together for a long-enough time, become domestic partners automatically, such that one would be liable for alimony if the couple were to break up?

Even if they don't become domestic partners automatically, is there any way that one would be liable for any sort of alimony (or equivalent) if the couple were to break up?

My situation:
I'm planning to buy a house, and because my boyfriend does not have any means of making a down payment at all, I will be buying the house alone. I will be the only one on the loan and title. After I get the house, my boyfriend plans to move in with me. I don't plan to get him to pay me rent or anything.

Now, I'm worried that if we were to break up, that I would somehow be liable to pay him an alimony, or that he would have certain rights to my house.

Thank you so much for any input you can provide.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">