• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domestic partnership involving an already married person

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CWKnudson

:confused: in MN. My wife has a girlfriend. My wife and I are still together, but they want an official commitment to each other as well. I have no objections. Her girlfriend and I have no "relationship". We are strictly friends. Is there a way to legally enter into a domestic partnership with a married person in MN? If not, are there work arounds that would allow her GF some of the same legal benefits/rights as a domestic partnership? We would also like her to have legal rights with the kids, as far as school and medical decisions.

Isis1

Even if there were, bigamy is still against the law. Only one legal relationship at at time.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
:confused: in MN. My wife has a girlfriend. My wife and I are still together, but they want an official commitment to each other as well. I have no objections. Her girlfriend and I have no "relationship". We are strictly friends. Is there a way to legally enter into a domestic partnership with a married person in MN? If not, are there work arounds that would allow her GF some of the same legal benefits/rights as a domestic partnership? We would also like her to have legal rights with the kids, as far as school and medical decisions.
You could give her a POA though that seems foolish to give someone else rights to make decisions regarding your children just because they are sleeping with your wife.

CWKnudson

???

:confused:WOW REALLY??? I was not looking for opinions. I was looking for a way to work things out. First of all, my wife and I are still VERY much in love. She just has needs only a woman can meet for her. So I do not wish to divorce her. Second of all, BOTH my wife and her GF are maternal to our children. (Mommy & Mommy Rose) That is why we want this. So if something happened, the kids wouldn't be put with my mother. My mother is a horrible person, and is currently estranged from us. Third of all, This is NOT just because she is sleeping with my wife. We are all parents to the children, and want that to be recognized formally and legally. So unless you TROLLS have something helpful to say, PLEASE DON'T COMMENT:mad:!!!!!!!!

Proserpina

:confused:WOW REALLY??? I was not looking for opinions. I was looking for a way to work things out. First of all, my wife and I are still VERY much in love. She just has needs only a woman can meet for her. So I do not wish to divorce her. Second of all, BOTH my wife and her GF are maternal to our children. (Mommy & Mommy Rose) That is why we want this. So if something happened, the kids wouldn't be put with my mother. My mother is a horrible person, and is currently estranged from us. Third of all, This is NOT just because she is sleeping with my wife. We are all parents to the children, and want that to be recognized formally and legally. So unless you TROLLS have something helpful to say, PLEASE DON'T COMMENT:mad:!!!!!!!!

Oh good grief get a grip of yourself!

It is true that if you and your wife die, either set of grandparents would have the right to fight for custody. And a POA won't change that at all.

And, you're not all parents to those children no matter what you'd like it to be - you and your wife are the ONLY legal parents. That's it. End of story.

By all means pay an attorney to deal with your petulance.

CWKnudson

Ok then

Oh good grief get a grip of yourself!

It is true that if you and your wife die, either set of grandparents would have the right to fight for custody. And a POA won't change that at all.

And, you're not all parents to those children no matter what you'd like it to be - you and your wife are the ONLY legal parents. That's it. End of story.

By all means pay an attorney to deal with your petulance.
To be perfectly clear, my mother is the ONLY living grandparent. She is an evil horrid woman that I don't want my children around. And, while it's true that my wife and I are the only BIOLOGICAL parents, the ACT of parenting falls on all 3 of us.

What makes a parent? Is it the act of conception, or the act of love? How do you feel about adoption? Can an adopted child consider the people/person that adopted them, a parent?

The fact of the matter is, we are all parenting the kids. By that I mean, THE ACT OF PARENTING. The acts of raising and disciplining the kids. Loving them no matter their flaws or short comings.

If something were to happen to my wife and I, we want our children to stay with the only other parental figure they know. My mother IS the kind of person who would try to take them out of spite. And I don't want my kids raised by a person who acts that way. My mother has a VERY long history of abusive behavior towards me and my siblings. So, YES, she has everything to do with this. She is not the main reason, but is a very large part of the equation.

LdiJ

To be perfectly clear, my mother is the ONLY living grandparent. She is an evil horrid woman that I don't want my children around. And, while it's true that my wife and I are the only BIOLOGICAL parents, the ACT of parenting falls on all 3 of us.

What makes a parent? Is it the act of conception, or the act of love? How do you feel about adoption? Can an adopted child consider the people/person that adopted them, a parent?

The fact of the matter is, we are all parenting the kids. By that I mean, THE ACT OF PARENTING. The acts of raising and disciplining the kids. Loving them no matter their flaws or short comings.

If something were to happen to my wife and I, we want our children to stay with the only other parental figure they know. My mother IS the kind of person who would try to take them out of spite. And I don't want my kids raised by a person who acts that way. My mother has a VERY long history of abusive behavior towards me and my siblings. So, YES, she has everything to do with this. She is not the main reason, but is a very large part of the equation.
The better question is "what legally makes a parent?" and that is the only thing that matters in this scenario.

There is no way that you are going to be able to confer legal parenthood to your wife's girlfriend, even if a domestic partnership were possible, without taking away your own legal parenthood. (ie adoption)

You can set up a standby guardianship for someone to take your children in the event that something happens to both of you, but a grandparent or other family member can challenge a standby guardianship, and I could see your mother making some headway in the courts considering your non-standard family arrangement.

If your main goal is to protect your children against your mother, then naming an aunt or uncle of the children as a standby guardian would be a safer thing to do.

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

Ok, no opinion here. THIS IS A LEGAL WEBSITE. Legally, you cannot be married or have a formal domestic relationship with more than one person, YOU and your WIFE are the ONLY LEGAL PARENTS. Period. End. Of. Story.

That aside, your diatribe about what makes a parent? We are all aware (most of us have blended families) of what parenting actually takes, a lot of us have the co-parent absent for long periods of time or ALL of the time in some situations. STILL doesn't change that LEGALLY, you can only be married to ONE person and your children have only two parents, LEGALLY.

mistoffolees

The better question is "what legally makes a parent?" and that is the only thing that matters in this scenario.

There is no way that you are going to be able to confer legal parenthood to your wife's girlfriend, even if a domestic partnership were possible, without taking away your own legal parenthood. (ie adoption)

You can set up a standby guardianship for someone to take your children in the event that something happens to both of you, but a grandparent or other family member can challenge a standby guardianship, and I could see your mother making some headway in the courts considering your non-standard family arrangement.

If your main goal is to protect your children against your mother, then naming an aunt or uncle of the children as a standby guardian would be a safer thing to do.
All correct, but missing one thing. If OP really thinks that the grandparent is a danger to the child or unfit in some way, they can start to document it now. If there is a court finding that the grandparent is unfit, that would strengthen the choice of aunt or uncle (or even GF) as standby guardian.

Of course, if it's just "grandma is mean to me", then that's not going to work.

Heck, even the Mormon church doesn't allow that any more. I guess you could move to some of the Middle Eastern countries and call the two women your harem. (Of course, if they find out about the relationship between the two of them, that wouldn't go over well in that part of the world). :eek:

OHRoadwarrior

I support polyamory. That said, attempting to provide partnership benefits in the manner you are suggesting, would be theft by deception. Your wife cannot have her cake and eat it too, when it comes to the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">