• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domestic partnership in Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

woods_eyes

Is there any type of form for a domestic partnership agreement? Are domestic partnerships, or common-law marriages recognized in the state of Virginia? How would you go about drawing up a legally binding agreement?
Thanks!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

woods_eyes said:
Is there any type of form for a domestic partnership agreement? Are domestic partnerships, or common-law marriages recognized in the state of Virginia? How would you go about drawing up a legally binding agreement?
Thanks!
My response:

Virginia has no Statutes authorizing "Common Law" marriages.

Please read the following to gain more of an understanding concerning Domestic Partnership Agreements.

http://www.uchastings.edu/plri/fall94/gewertz.html

Then, see an attorney to have such an agreement drawn up. You're making a good decision to obtain an Agreement now, so that way, a judge won't have to "guess" later on.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

W

woods_eyes

Thanks for the quick response! Believe it or not...
the "other" side of this domestic partnership is my ex! LOL! Maybe we'll have better luck without the vows?

Thanks again!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Perhaps, and I hope you do . . .

However (and there's always one of those, isn't there?), you'll have no State protections under the law.

As live-ins, you'll have no rights to property, his Estate (unless there's a Will), or insurance (medical, life, etc.).

You'll be on your own if he leaves you. The law does not protect "boyfriends and girlfriends". The best you can hope for is Breach of Contract if you have a written agreement, AND that the item breached is in the Agreement.

Good luck.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 02-23-2001 at 04:00 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">