• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domestic Partnerships

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annlynn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington. I lived with a man for 22.5 years; had 3 girls by him and a son of my own before this relationship in question. It was a very turbulent relationship. I liquidated my two 401K's to keep us from homelessness, and endured tremendous yelling and screaming and negative insults from him on a daily basis down to how I cooked dinner in front of the kids. Every friday was a total nightmare with him coming in from work and upon drinking, starting in on my son for things as small as how he didn't answer a question right. Now matter what way I turned, I was wrong and always shot down. The abuse began very early in the relationship until I felt broken inside. I finally gained the courage to leave him without the children, because throughout the relationship, he threatened that I was never allowed to take the kids. So, I left them with them because I had to get away and heal myself first and I had no where to live. I haven't asked for anything for fear that I had no right. He kept me on his insurance from his job, I kept him 22.5 years on mine. He has now decided to take me off and I believe I deserve the right to that. He wouldn't let me drive; complained about what friends I did have so I wouldn't associate with them and even constantly started arguments about the job I had cause I worked around men. I was a tailor in a department store so I quit cause I couldn't take the stress anymore. Do I have any rights? It has been 5.5 yeats since I left.

Last edited:

Do I have any rights? It has been 5.5 yeats since I left.
It would help if you could be more specific about what you mean by "rights". I can tell you that Washington state laws do not have provisions for "common-law marriage".

There was a new state law (2007) about domestic partnerships--but eligibility seems limited to couples of the same sex or couples of which one is at least 62 years of age. This requires the couple to register for the domestic partnership. Since you split over 5 years ago, this does not apply.

You may have some property rights, depending on how the property is titled.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OP how did you have each other on your insurances? Were the insurance companies aware that you were NOT married?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">