• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dont know how to title this..forgive me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

guitarsjm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

10 years ago, my ex was awarded legal fees when the judge changed custody in the amt of 25,000.00 (it was a horrible case and he is a terrible person). i was NEVER given a time frame or period in which to pay this; he was just awarded it..period. i have been paying him child support, 1200.00 p/month since losing custody in said case. he has NEVER sought in any way shape or form, or requested in any manner, for me to pay anything towards this award of legal fees; NOT until now that i went back to court seeking a change of custody which i had to pull back on due to my father having a massive heart attack, subsequent bypass surgery.. as well as my objection to his getting a COLA increase which would strain our (i am remarried for over 8 years now) finances further; NOW, he has filed an order to show cause stating i am in contempt for not paying (i was never given time frame or payment plan). how can we fight? he is trying to get it made into a money judgement to put a lien on our home. please someone help me, help us as i cant even afford an attorney. we are in the process of fixing up our home, the only thing we own, in order to sell it asap so we canmove to florida to be near my parents who need me there as i am an RN, cardiac nurse, and need to help with my fathers recovery etc. i really hope someone can help me fight this horrible man who still wants to destroy me after all these years for no reason at all.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The easy way to fix this is to pay what you owe. I think he's very smart for moving on this now, so that when you sell the home, he'll get what he's owed. I'm SURE you wouldn't have paid him on your own.

nyrnwriter

postpone it

best bet is to keep asking for adjournments-and sell that house fast. I have an ex just like this - never quits and looks to destroy. Sell the house and get going- he needs to get a life.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So... do you think you don't owe this money? Have you seriously spent the last 10 years thinking it was just a suggestion the judge made, not something he expected you to do? Pay the judgment, or face some severe consequences. Like the loss of your nursing license.

guitarsjm

So... do you think you don't owe this money? Have you seriously spent the last 10 years thinking it was just a suggestion the judge made, not something he expected you to do? Pay the judgment, or face some severe consequences. Like the loss of your nursing license.
YOU, and so many others like you here, do not see or seem to understand that there are those who have been wrongfully penalized beyond what should have been for numerous reasons none of which i have to go into; sometimes the one who seems 'guilty' really isnt, one party in said divorce is sometimes just out to get the other... as here. instead of giving advice as sought, you bash and blame instead of seeing that someone is really looking for help..NOT running away or trying to avoid what may be owed! i lost custody as i said, for whatever reason- he has lots of money to fight with as he has NO LIFE, travels extensively and leaves our son with ME for months on end, 9 months the last time, and still, he got support and KEPT it! not ever offering it back to me since our son was staying full time with me and i had to cover the expenses... you get the picture yet or do you still think i deserve no relief?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">