• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dont know where to start

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LJD

I left a longtime hurtful marriage two years ago. I had not been allowed to work and had no control of finances. I married the day I graduated and he works for the govt so no Social Security just his pension and our savings. We have two grown children and one 15 yr old that lives with him due to the fact he can provide much better than I can at this point. The only access I have to our finances is a credit card that I mainly used for childrens gifts and personal things. I stopped using this in December due to my childrens abusive notes about my being a leech. My husband has had access to all funds and savings since then.
I devoted 27 years to raising children, a home and a small farm while he went to work, but just want to be free at this point.
I have contacted a few lawyers but they all say I will have to return to Florida for trial and the retainers are far above what I can afford (Australias dollar is half in value of Americas) Stress is a big factor in my health and I am terrified at the thought of facing him again.
I am in a new relationship and hope to stay here and start over.
I just want to be free and not do any damage to my family in Florida.
I would really appreciate it if there are any suggestions as to what I can do. I am really out of ideas
Thank you for your help

LJD

vrzirn

It is obvious you are not a fighter and therefore, no wonder you permitted him to walk all over you for so long. You are entitled to your share of his pension and whatever assets you acquired during the marriage.
I suggest you see a counselor for awhile to help you get over this pathetic and useless quaking and shaking. Then go back to Florida and kick-ass.Never mind what your kids say; they do not appear to have any respect for you.
Your other option is to just roll-over.

L

LJD

thanks

just what I needed to hear
obviously you are a jerk and should move in with my soon
to be ex husband as I am sure you would get along very well.

LJD

E

Elliotg

At a minimum, your probably entitled to a significant portion of his pension.

Generally, in family law matters, under Florida's statutes the obligation for paying attorney fees falls on the party who is best able to pay. If what you stated is accurate, then he will likely be held legally responsible for all, or at least a majority, of your attorney fees. Therefore, keep trying to find an attorney who will work with you.

Good Luck.-Elliot Goldstein (attorney with offices in Tampa and St. Petersburg - feel free to contact me directly)

The above information is provided as a courtesy, without any consideration and without knowledge of the specific facts.  Do not rely on this information. Seek a formal consultation with an attorney.

vrzirn

Now we have Goldstein soliciting business!I wonder if he will advance the airfare from Australia or tell our name-calling poster to put it on her credit card.

L

LJD

Thank you for your help

Thank you Elliot for your suggestions. My main problem at this time is the fact I am unable to return to the States, but in the future this might be possible. What I really need to find out is if it can proceed as a straight forward dissolution without my having to return.
It is a relief to know that knowledgeable people frequent this forum rather than bitter ones. I was a bit concerned and hope that you will continue to participate. I made a sincere request and really need some information and possibly contacts to find out if what I need is possible.

LJD

E

Elliotg

As your case involves a long term marriage, you probably can assert a strong claim to a portion of his pension. Even if you do not want to pursue that, you can bluff and use that claim as a bargaining chip. The same thing goes for the marital home, or another real estate which was purchased during the course of the marriage.

Push come to shove, you probably will have to appear for the final hearing. It would be best if your divorce could be settled by mutual agreement. Depending on your comfort level, you can negotiate on your own, or you can retain local counsel.

If you just want to get this behind you, and assuming that you are unwilling to fight for anything, then why not file for divorce in Australia? Schedule a consultation with a barrister.

Vrzin reminds me of my miniture schnauzer. They both have issues, but I digress.

To Vrzin: Take your best shot. I don't intend to waste my time by replying.

vrzirn

Sugar coating requires many more words to say the same thing. Fight or roll over. Of course, I am not hoping for a fee.
Glad to hear you will let me have last word, Goldstein.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">