• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Don't want to give myself more problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ravencourt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
My ex husband gave up his rights to my two daughters (13 & 17). They were adopted by my husband now. My oldest wants to move in with ex (in GA) for good and my youngest wants to go stay a year. I am willing to give a medical release but, don't want ex to use any of this against me. I figure the oldest is close enough to legal age I don't have much of a choice but, the youngest I'm not sure if this is best for her. But she is very excited about going and will be upset if the oldest goes without her. Giving ex Power of Attorney worries me. Can anyone advise me in this weird situation? Ex actually asked if we would give him his rights back but, I said no. :confused:

proud_parent

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
My ex husband gave up his rights to my two daughters (13 & 17). They were adopted by my husband now. My oldest wants to move in with ex (in GA) for good and my youngest wants to go stay a year. I am willing to give a medical release but, don't want ex to use any of this against me. I figure the oldest is close enough to legal age I don't have much of a choice but, the youngest I'm not sure if this is best for her. But she is very excited about going and will be upset if the oldest goes without her. Giving ex Power of Attorney worries me. Can anyone advise me in this weird situation? Ex actually asked if we would give him his rights back but, I said no. :confused:
If the children were legally adopted, you cannot give him his rights back. And presuming there was no fraud or duress involved in the termination of his parental rights (which I infer was voluntary, based on your willingness even to consider allowing your children to move in with him), your ex has no grounds to petition the Court to overturn the adoption and regain his rights.

Regarding the children, I strongly advise you to tell 17 year old that she must sit tight until she is 18, at which point she will be a legal adult free to determine where she will live. Both daughters need to hear loud and clear that you and their father (your husband) take your parental responsibilities seriously, and therefore will not permit minors to call the shots. If elder daughter does decide to move when she's 18 and younger daughter complains that she's being left out, explain that the same rules apply to her: she may choose when she's 18. Until then, you as parents have both the duty and the authority to act in her best interests.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">