• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drug addicted spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ga

My spouse receives government benefits monthly which is our only source of income. For many years he has been working his program, doing his steps. He recently relapsed which means he will may be gone for a month or so. Is there any way that I can become legally in charge of his benefits ? It goes to a joint account and I make sure all the bills are paid since we've been married. He suffers from a mental illness, too, and has spent several weeks in the psychiatric ward at least 3-4 times since we've known each other. He is on medication for his illness. Thank you for your help in advance.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ga

My spouse receives government benefits monthly which is our only source of income. For many years he has been working his program, doing his steps. He recently relapsed which means he will may be gone for a month or so. Is there any way that I can become legally in charge of his benefits ? It goes to a joint account and I make sure all the bills are paid since we've been married. He suffers from a mental illness, too, and has spent several weeks in the psychiatric ward at least 3-4 times since we've known each other. He is on medication for his illness. Thank you for your help in advance.
Why are you not working? What type of government benefits are these?Can they be direct deposited?

Why are you not working? What type of government benefits are these?Can they be direct deposited?
It is direct deposit into our joint account. They are veterans benefits based on him having no income (pension). He has a disability rating of 80% that is not service connected.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It is direct deposit into our joint account. They are veterans benefits based on him having no income (pension). He has a disability rating of 80% that is not service connected.
And what are you doing to help support yourself?

ShyCat

If his benefits are being direct deposited in your joint account, why do you think you need to "become legally in charge of his benefits"? What are you hoping to accomplish?

ecmst12

I'm sure she wants to remove access to the money from spouse so he can't spend it on drugs. At least that's what I'd hope, rather than more nefarious plans.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">