• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dumped after 18 years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mt30

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
I had been in a live in companionship based on the promise of lifetime security including death benefits for 18 years. 2 months ago, he claimed he "no longer loved me", asked me to leave the house ASAP, and is now with a much younger woman.
I gave up a professional career in Radiology to be this man's companion and now I'm out of the house, living in an RV that he gave me and relying totally on Social Security to get by. When I left I took nothing with me but my clothes and a few possessions. I'm not greedy, but do I have any legal recourse to some type of either a small monthly stipend or to be put back on his TIAA, which is the account that he promised was to go to me at his death and now it's going to his children.
He is not hurting for money at all.
Thank you for any help you can give me.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mt30

contract

Unfortunately, I have no type of contract, just his word. I forgot to mention that I was duped into signing off on Right of Joint Surviorship on the house also as he said I would have to pay too much inheritance tax. I plan to go to the courthouse and see if I can get the first contract on the house, and also see if he has any wills filed there, but knowing him they're probably locked up in his safe/

LdiJ

Unfortunately, I have no type of contract, just his word. I forgot to mention that I was duped into signing off on Right of Joint Surviorship on the house also as he said I would have to pay too much inheritance tax. I plan to go to the courthouse and see if I can get the first contract on the house, and also see if he has any wills filed there, but knowing him they're probably locked up in his safe/
How old are you and how old is he?

Its not completely outside of the realm of possibility that you could prove a contract existed, even if you have nothing in writing.

The problem is that the legal costs associated with doing so could be quite high, without a guarantee that you would win...unless of course he decided to settle.

If you found an attorney that believed that your case was strong enough that they would be willing to take in on contingency, then it might be worth trying.

mt30

He is 75, I am 62.
I'm new at this kind of thing. How does one go about getting a lawyer on contingency? I don't have a whole lot of money to spend at this time as my discretionary income has been sharply cut.
Thank you. mt30

LdiJ

He is 75, I am 62.
I'm new at this kind of thing. How does one go about getting a lawyer on contingency? I don't have a whole lot of money to spend at this time as my discretionary income has been sharply cut.
Thank you. mt30
Your state bar association might be able to provide you a list of attorneys in your area that take cases on contingency.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He is 75, I am 62.
Thank you. mt30
Truthfully you would not find an attorney that could take this case on contingency.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Also Palimony does not exist in NC. What was the agreement you two had? What was the consideration given in exchange for support?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Goodness! How DARE he leave his belongings to his children instead of his paramour!?!

You wanted the benefits of a marriage without the marriage. It really doesn't work that way. Frankly, you are old enough and, presumably, wise enough to know that.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Sarcasm
Zigner,
When a man I trusted completely made these verbal promises many times, I know I was very naive not to have them in writing. We both agreed that we did not want to get married, but spend the rest of our lives together. However, I didn't see the need for you to be so nasty and sarcastic. Maybe the same thing happened to you once and you were unsuccessful at getting what you wanted. Whatever****************************...
I am sorry that you made poor choices and I am sorry that you are suffering from those poor choices. I am also sorry that you haven't learned anything.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If you decided to spend the rest of your life with him and were having sex then quite frankly you didn't have a contract for support -- because sex would have been part of the contract and thus void. Because quite frankly that would have made you a prostitute. I.e. exchanging sex for goods.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">