• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DV/TRO court date out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

padch

i am a resident in georgia who was dating an older man fron new jersey. we met in GA and he comes here for bussiness, i had never been to NJ till I started dating him. We had a horrible fight the first of July in GA and he struck me, drove off in my car, leaving me in downtown with no purse, shoes, phone, etc. He was highly intoxicated and earlier in the evening he had been refused entrance at a club. He eventually came back after speaking with my mother and told me he was flying back to NJ he also told me if i spoke with his supposed to be soon ex-wife he would kill me or my little sister. he grabbed me and told me to look into his eyes and know he was serious. He was supposedly in the process of divorcing his wife and when he flew back home and cut off all contact with me i became suspicous. i called his supposed soon to be ex wife and she visited with me for an hour and a half telling me he was a liar, repetitive cheater, and had done this sort of thing before. The next day I received harrasing phone calls continuously so i contacted the police and explained his death threat and his striking me. They told me under GA law in order to get a restraining order we have to have cohabitated, parented a child, or been married. As for the assault they said there would have to be a third party witness. The officer advised me to let him know I had spoken with police, I did not want him to call, and if he did I'd have to take further action. he was out of his home state when I contacted GA police and left a message on my x-boyfriends voice mail. when he returned on July 17th he filed a domestic violence civil complaint and restraining order against me in NJ. NJ relationship test includes dating and he alledges I punched him in the face and have continually harrased his family (all untrue!) I feel like there is nothing i can do and since Im not a resident in NJ I'll have to fly up there to fight his TRO and cant even file a TRO unless Im in NJ. Please help! It's hard enough to have found out every thing this man told me was a lie much less to now be charged with a flase DV complaint! Is there any protection for me??? Should I fight his charges (he didnt file criminally just civil charges.) What are the potential consequences if I choose to do nothing?

L

lawrat

now you know why you should never mess with a married man. So....get yourself a lawyer and go from there.

http://www.attorneypages.com

P

padch

Thanks, I guess I have no choice but to get an attorney. For the record he was supposedly legally seperated and had told me under NJ law they had to be seperated for 18 months before their divorce was final. He also told me his wife knew he was dating. Guess I've learned you have to background check all information before dating or falling in love... Life Lessons learned at a huge price not only to me but to his family as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">