• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Educational Guardianship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elaine60

What is the name of your state? Indiana. Have any of you heard of educational guardianship? I was told by the school that I want my child to attend that he could attend their without paying tuition. We live three miles outside of the school corp after moving and they told me that if I have a friend or relative that I could make them my sons educational guardian. I guess what I want to know is if anyone has heard of this and is it legal in the state of Indiana. I have joint legal custody of my child with his father and do not want to get into trouble over this with him. He wants me to enroll our daughter in the corporation where we live now because she did not do well last year in the same school. The school thats where we live is smaller and has less children per class. My daughter was put in learning disability classes last year.
My ex is very upset about this because I have to admit it was not because she is not intelligent. She just has a hard time dealing with a situation where she has to compete for the teachers time. In LD there is a lot of one on one. Plus she does almost all of her homework in the classroom and the few classes that is not LD and she has to do her homework at home she does not want to do. She is very willful and refuses to cooperate with me or my ex when we try to get her to do her work. He is upset because he says she is just spoiled and thinks she has to be the queen of the ball and that I am not helping her by giving her a crutch she does not need. He also told me he knew for a fact that when he helps her with what homework she does have when she goes to his house he knows she passes with flying colors and he does not give her the answers but makes her sit and do it. She is an only child and is used to be the only child when it comes to dealing with adults. She does not get along well with other children unless they submit to her ideas and wants. He told me that because I am not making her exist as other children do that I am actually giving her a disability. He wants her placed in the other school and says that she should be in regular classes with other children. She has been tested and does not have an attention problem medically I think it is just a lack of applying herself. Anyway He says because he has joint legal custody that I have to let him know what I am doing and that I need his permission if it is something that is not good for our child. What do you think the court would say if he were to push it?

LdiJ

elaine60 said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana. Have any of you heard of educational guardianship? I was told by the school that I want my child to attend that he could attend their without paying tuition. We live three miles outside of the school corp after moving and they told me that if I have a friend or relative that I could make them my sons educational guardian. I guess what I want to know is if anyone has heard of this and is it legal in the state of Indiana. I have joint legal custody of my child with his father and do not want to get into trouble over this with him. He wants me to enroll our daughter in the corporation where we live now because she did not do well last year in the same school. The school thats where we live is smaller and has less children per class. My daughter was put in learning disability classes last year.
My ex is very upset about this because I have to admit it was not because she is not intelligent. She just has a hard time dealing with a situation where she has to compete for the teachers time. In LD there is a lot of one on one. Plus she does almost all of her homework in the classroom and the few classes that is not LD and she has to do her homework at home she does not want to do. She is very willful and refuses to cooperate with me or my ex when we try to get her to do her work. He is upset because he says she is just spoiled and thinks she has to be the queen of the ball and that I am not helping her by giving her a crutch she does not need. He also told me he knew for a fact that when he helps her with what homework she does have when she goes to his house he knows she passes with flying colors and he does not give her the answers but makes her sit and do it. She is an only child and is used to be the only child when it comes to dealing with adults. She does not get along well with other children unless they submit to her ideas and wants. He told me that because I am not making her exist as other children do that I am actually giving her a disability. He wants her placed in the other school and says that she should be in regular classes with other children. She has been tested and does not have an attention problem medically I think it is just a lack of applying herself. Anyway He says because he has joint legal custody that I have to let him know what I am doing and that I need his permission if it is something that is not good for our child. What do you think the court would say if he were to push it?
Ok...in Indiana a child has to go to school in the district of the parent that has pri**** custody. Dad has no say over that...you don't have any say over that, and neither does a judge for that matter. It is illegal to purposefully "play" things so that the child can go to school in another district, and quite frankly, I am amazed that the school suggested the "educational guardianship" bit. In any case, ANY type of guardianship would require dad's approval and dad's signature on any legal documents.

On the other side of things....its does sound like your daughter needs some help in learning to deal with other children, and in learning that she is not entitled to the full attention of every adult in her life. You may want to consider some counseling for her to assist in that arena. That kind of thing won't just effect her with school...but can seriously effect her as an adult....so its best to deal with it now.

Wolflmg

I know here in Michigan at the private school I went to, that grants are availble for families that aren't able to pay the full ammount.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I have to agree with Dad on this one. You really need to step up to the plate and quit catering to her sense of entitlement. Kids have homework, and it can't always be finished in class - make her do it at home instead of playing the system for her. In addition, it's incredibly selfish - of you AND your daughter - to expect the school and teachers to devote resources that some kids really NEED because you're raising a spoiled brat.

Wolflmg

stealth2 said:
I have to agree with Dad on this one. You really need to step up to the plate and quit catering to her sense of entitlement. Kids have homework, and it can't always be finished in class - make her do it at home instead of playing the system for her. In addition, it's incredibly selfish - of you AND your daughter - to expect the school and teachers to devote resources that some kids really NEED because you're raising a spoiled brat.

Yeah kind of have to agree with that. I went to a small school where there were only around 20 to 25 kids in room. And I still had homework some days and took it home. So sending her to a smaller school really woundn't stop the whole homework thing.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And it's interesting that your fiance/boyfriend had a very similar situation that you were askign about back in February...

elaine60 said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana
My fiancée’s ex-girlfriend is buying a home and moving out of the school district that his child is presently in. She works in the town where the school district is and is planning on continuing to take her child to school there. In most cases a parent would have to pay tuition. His daughter told me that mom is planning on naming a friend of hers as legal guardian to her so that she can go to school in that school district. Is that legal and where does my fiancée stand in all of this. I know he is not going to be happy when he finds out. He is sick of the fact that his daughter is his and he is constantly not being allowed time with his daughter when the mother does not have her because her mother wants her to have her boyfriend watch her. He has a child of his own but does not get to have visitation with his son so he is constantly hindering my fiancée’s chances to have more time with his daughter. Can my fiancée object to her naming this so called relative as her guardian?
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=226169 So how about you quit the games and tell us straight what the situation is and who you really are in the scenario?

MF3

need hellppp!!!

i recently moved to live with my aunt and uncle. my parents live in anther country.:( i want to attend school in USA but my parents can't come. though they have written a letter sayin that my aunt and uncle shall be my gurdian and shall make decisions for me. is that enough? :s :confused:

Proserpina

i recently moved to live with my aunt and uncle. my parents live in anther country.:( i want to attend school in USA but my parents can't come. though they have written a letter sayin that my aunt and uncle shall be my gurdian and shall make decisions for me. is that enough? :s :confused:

Please start your own thread - this one is 7 years old.

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">