• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Educational Guardianship?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lainey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi

I'm sure similar questions have been asked, but here I go anyway.
My son's girlfriend lives in Michigan. She wants to attend college here. She is a junior in high school. Is there an "educational guardianship" that we can file in order to help her establish residency in Mississippi? She is a very smart girl, and with her test scores, she would be able to attend for free on scholarships that she would be awarded here.

Proserpina

My son's girlfriend lives in Michigan. She wants to attend college here. She is a junior in high school. Is there an "educational guardianship" that we can file in order to help her establish residency in Mississippi? She is a very smart girl, and with her test scores, she would be able to attend for free on scholarships that she would be awarded here.

Are her parents okay with this?

Where would she be living? With your son..under your roof?

mistoffolees

Assuming that the parents are OK with it, it may be possible. However, you need to consider:

1. Check with your local school district to see what is required. They will tell you exactly what you need to do and what documents must be submitted.

2. Make sure that you have consulted with your attorney about the liabilities that you would be taking on. What happens if the child is injured or killed? What happens if the child gets into trouble with the law or damages some property? What happens if the child gets into an auto accident? What happens if the child just becomes disobedient to you?

3. How old is your son? How old is the girl? Depending on the ages, if your son has sex with the girl (and it will happen), he could be committing a crime and you could be charged for allowing it to happen.

4. Are you prepared to deal with the possibility that the girl would become pregnant on your watch?

5. What are you going to do with the distraction between the lovebirds causes their grades to drop to the point where her scholarship dreams go down the drain?

And lots more potential problems.

Frankly, if you all decide to go through with it, I think you need to have your heads examined. The teen is going to spend years away from her family just because she might be able to save some money on college (she'd probably be better off to spend the time and energy working on her schooling to get her grades to the point where she could get a scholarship, anyway).

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

If her test scores are so good, why wouldn't she get the same deals at schools local to her?

Honestly? As the parent of teens, I think this is a terrible idea, for many of the reasons outlined by another poster.

And yes, I had a similar request from a young man my daughter was "seeing" from another state. I made it clear that, while I was willing to be someone he could call on for emotional support, general advice, etc., he was NOT moving to our state and into my home.

mistoffolees

If her test scores are so good, why wouldn't she get the same deals at schools local to her?

Honestly? As the parent of teens, I think this is a terrible idea, for many of the reasons outlined by another poster.

And yes, I had a similar request from a young man my daughter was "seeing" from another state. I made it clear that, while I was willing to be someone he could call on for emotional support, general advice, etc., he was NOT moving to our state and into my home.
Well, you couldn't keep him from moving to your state, but you could certainly keep him out of your home. ;)

BTW, I wonder why OP is so readily fooled by the kids trying to get parental help to hook up. The girl is currently in Michigan and has good grades, but wants to go to college in Mississippi? Really? Now, some of the colleges in Miss. are certainly adequate, but given the number of great colleges within a few hours of Michigan, can anyone really believe that this is about her choice of college?

Proserpina

Well, you couldn't keep him from moving to your state, but you could certainly keep him out of your home. ;)

BTW, I wonder why OP is so readily fooled by the kids trying to get parental help to hook up. The girl is currently in Michigan and has good grades, but wants to go to college in Mississippi? Really? Now, some of the colleges in Miss. are certainly adequate, but given the number of great colleges within a few hours of Michigan, can anyone really believe that this is about her choice of college?

Not for a single goshdarned second.

:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">