• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eloping in Ohio... Question about divorce paperwork

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dlchira

My fiancee and I are trying to elope this week in Ohio before she moves to England on military orders in a few days. The plan is to do this quickly to facilitate my long(ish)-term residence in England before wheeling back around to do a proper ceremony for the families later on. I do not have my certified divorce decree, which was issued out of state (creating significant hassles/delays in getting a certified copy). She is aware that I have been married (not trying to hide anything from her). Would Ohio courts have a way of determining my previous marriage's status (i.e., divorced) on the fly while I'm trying to apply for the license? If so, would they still demand that I produce a certified copy of my own? And... if not, what would prevent me from not disclosing the previous marriage to the court clerk? (Yes, I know it's "ethically wrong"; thanks for not being judgmental about my attempt to circumvent a meaningless procedure.)

OHRoadwarrior

It is not only wrong. It is a crime against the state and it invalidates the wedding license as the application to the court was falsified. It does not require a physical decree. It requires the information from it.

If either party has been previously married, the application shall include the names of the parties to any previous marriage and of any minor children, and if divorced the jurisdiction, date, and case number of the decree.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/3101.05

Last edited:

Silverplum

My fiancee and I are trying to elope this week in Ohio before she moves to England on military orders in a few days. The plan is to do this quickly to facilitate my long(ish)-term residence in England before wheeling back around to do a proper ceremony for the families later on. I do not have my certified divorce decree, which was issued out of state (creating significant hassles/delays in getting a certified copy). She is aware that I have been married (not trying to hide anything from her). Would Ohio courts have a way of determining my previous marriage's status (i.e., divorced) on the fly while I'm trying to apply for the license? If so, would they still demand that I produce a certified copy of my own? And... if not, what would prevent me from not disclosing the previous marriage to the court clerk? (Yes, I know it's "ethically wrong"; thanks for not being judgmental about my attempt to circumvent a meaningless procedure.)
I took a brief glance at both, saw nothing about divorce decrees required.

https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Resources/LawFactsPamphlets/Pages/LawFactsPamphlet-35.aspx

http://www.ohiolegalservices.org/public/legal_problem/family-law/marriage/qandact_view

If one or both of you has been married before, you must include in your application the names of the parties to that marriage and the names of any minor children. If either one of you has been divorced, you must provide the places, dates and case numbers of the divorces. Also, you must present a certified copy of the most recent divorce decree at the time you apply.
From your ohiobar link, you know i luv ya, SP! ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">