• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipate Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Florida

We have a 15 year old daughter whom is constantly in trouble with police, she leaves in the middle of the night and dissapears, and we are unable to control her.

The last incident yesterday, the Sheriff that came to the house told us to have her emancipated so we would not be responsible if she gets into any more trouble.

What are the details to have this done? Cost, etc..
And, can we have this done or have to wait until she is 16?

Thank you for any advice!

n_and

She has to be 16 years old. You file a petition with a judge, stating a reason for the emancipation, and showing that she CAN be independant and support herself. She must be able to prove this, or have a specific plan. Supprt by public benefits does NOT apply.

In my opinion, a judge is not going to relieve you of your parental duties because you can't control your kid. She obviously is not responsible enough to take care of herself. Send her to training school.

I have no idea on cost.

dequeendistress

The last incident yesterday, the Sheriff that came to the house told us to have her emancipated
so we would not be responsible if she gets into any more trouble

That is B.S.!!!

Since she has been in so much trouble what did the Juvenile Probation officer advise you

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
With all due respect to any law enforcement officers who may be following these boards, they are not the ones to get your law from.

No court in the US (with a very slightly possible exception of California) will emancipate a 15 year old. Not all states will emancipate a minor at all. I don't know about Florida.

In those states where it is possible for a minor to be legally emancipated, the requirements vary but pretty much universally include (but are not limited to):
1.) Parental permission
2.) The ability to COMPLETELY support him/herself without ANY assistance from ANYONE (that includes public benefits)
3.) Convincing a judge that emancipation is in the best interest of the child. (Not the parents.)

I have no idea of the cost.

nextwife

I know of a number of families have big time teen problems such as yours with their adopted RAD teens. Look into a Residential treatment facility until she can learn how to behave. Some have purchased door alarms (the opening of the child's bedroom door during the night trips an alarm, so the parents know the kid is up and about- they've purchased such alarms at Radio Shack). I presume you are all in counseling? There are some good web support lists for parents going through extreme teen problems. You might get some suggestions from them.

Obviously stop any cash flow to her as well, until she starts behaving reliably.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Yes, Ladies and Gentlemen - - It's time, once again, for our favorite Soap Opera, "Castenets Time In Brazil"!!

This is really very simple.

You tell her that in 1 month, you're both going on a "daughter/mother vacation" to Brazil. How fun! You tell her that you're both going to take in the sights and local culture - - for a change of atmosphere and to get her mind off things for a couple of weeks. That's the story you tell her.

Then, you take yourself and her to get your pictures taken for your Passports.

Then, after you get your Passports, you buy two tickets to Brazil - - a round trip ticket for you, and a one-way ticket for her (starting to get the picture?).

You both fly to Brazil.

You get into a cab from the airport and go to the hotel where you've previously made room arrangements.

You get to the hotel and get to your rooms, but do not unpack your bags!

After getting her settled into her room, you take her Passport without letting her see you. You then tell her you're going to the gift shop for a magazine.

However, the reality is that you're going to the front desk with an envelope. In the envelope is two hundred dollars in Brazilian money, and your note to her - -

"Dear Sweety Pie: So, you think you're old enough to dislike me and Dad, and to give us continual trouble? Then you're old enough to take care of yourself. I hope you like your new home and country. New languages are fun to learn, aren't they? Here's $200.00 to get you started in life. Don't waste it. Love, Mom."

Have the hotel clerk deliver the envelope to her room.

Then, you turn on your heels, take your bags out of the hotel, hail a cab, and get back to the airport. Fly home.

Let Brazil take care of her.

IAAL

kat1963

Wait a second. Is this the same daughter who decided to go live with her Mom last week??? Give Mom full custody, pay the damn support for the next 2 years & move on from the heartache. Is it really worth having to deal with this over a few hundred bucks a month? (note: bio will probably file for custody anyway) And heck you probably spend half that on asprin, worry & lack of sleep! You want her to injury someone or damage property then you get sued for it? Do you want to go to jail because she's not going to school? Do you want to get stuck with thousands of medical bills (you'd never get a dime of it out loser bio) because she OD's on drugs & has to be in the hospital or nuthouse for months? NO, you don't. Bio wants to care for her child, let her do it. That said, there is no way to get out of being financially responsible but by allowing bio to have full custody will help protect you & the rest of your family. Support to Mom, support to the state should she be made a ward of or Mom goes on welfare...it's all going to be the same. Calculators can be found at supportguidelines.com...
....Or back some bags for Brazil.

Mr.KAT went thru the same exact thing!!! Bio never bought a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk during 7 years he had custody. Now he pays her over 2,000 a month... but for the next 18 months TICK TICK! Keep wondering how she's going to make that 350 per month trailer payment once her paycheck oh, I mean support check stops. Should be interesting...gives me the giggles!

Good Luck!

KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">