• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jonny112

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

I am looking into an emancipation, I will be 17 next month however, I have graduated Highschool a year early, and am currently employed. I am signed up for college and start next week. My problem is, I have been sent away for approximately a year at a boarding school, where I learned to be super independant. Being home for me brings too much stress and does not allow me to be fully successful. I feel as if I could be doing alot more if I were on my own. Please let me know how i could get this done. Also if this sounds reasonable for me to emancipate myself.

Thanks.

Nativity

Having gotten in trouble with the law just a couple months ago will not work in your favor.

You also need to present to the Judge in court that you can support yourself 100%, and have been living apart from your parents/guardians, you have not done that. Telling a Judge that you learned independence by being away at boarding school will not work in your account.

Best option is to wait it out until you're of age to move out on your own, spend more time at work and school and time will fly for you.

proud_parent

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

I am looking into an emancipation, I will be 17 next month however, I have graduated Highschool a year early, and am currently employed. I am signed up for college and start next week. My problem is, I have been sent away for approximately a year at a boarding school, where I learned to be super independant. Being home for me brings too much stress and does not allow me to be fully successful. I feel as if I could be doing alot more if I were on my own. Please let me know how i could get this done. Also if this sounds reasonable for me to emancipate myself.

Thanks.
OP, I'm curious about your timeline. When you first posted here a little over a year ago, you had a court date pending and you were asking what would happen if you turned 18 before that date.

07-13-2007, 09:00 AM
What is the name of your state? My state is California in the city of Van Nuys, my case is regarding possession of tobacco products, i am wondering what the best and worst case scenario could be, I got a 308(b) ticket charged under an infraction, and i am to appear in court in a little over a month. please reply with any advice to the case.
07-14-2007, 04:35 AM
If i turn 18 before my court date, is it also possible that i can get the case dropped? Also, this is my first ticket on my record, do you think that will effect it at all?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">