• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

morganeleigh

I'm 16 and have a job and live in alabama, but i still need to know how to become emancipated. My mother's girlfriend does not want me to leave because my father pays child support. i plan on getting my g.e.d as soon as possible what else do i need to do to become emancipated?

Last edited:

justalayman

there is no way to know since you failed to answer, and actually removed the most important question of the day:

what state?

Isis1

I'm 16 and have a job, but i still need to know how to become emancipated. My mother's girlfriend does not want me to leave because my father pays child support. i plan on getting my g.e.d as soon as possible what else do i need to do to become emancipated?
a lot more than having a job.

the purpose of emancipation isn't to get out of the parent's home, but to establish rights because they are already OUT of the parents home.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
what else do i need to do to become emancipated?

Reach your 18th birthday and get written parental permission. In Alabama, you cannot be emancipated if you are younger than 18. Once you do turn 18, with limited exceptions that do not apply here, one or both of your parents needs to sign the emancipation petition.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Section 26-1-1
Age of majority designated as 19 years.

(a) Any person in this state, at the arrival at the age of 19 years, shall be relieved of his or her disabilities of minority and thereafter shall have the same legal rights and abilities as persons over 21 years of age. No law of this state shall discriminate for or against any person between and including the ages of 19 and 21 years solely on the basis of age.

(b) This section shall also apply to any person who arrived at the age of 19 and 20 years before July 22, 1975, but shall not abrogate any defense or abridge any remedy available to him or her prior to such date.

(c) All laws or parts of laws which read "under the age of 21 years" hereafter shall read "under the age of 19 years." Wherever the words "under the age of 21 years" appear in any law limiting the legal rights and abilities of persons under such age, such words shall be construed to mean under the age of 19 years.

(d) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (c) of this section, nothing in this section shall be deemed to repeal any provision of Chapter 19 of Title 15 of this code.
(Acts 1975, No. 77.)
Section 26-1-1

Section 26-13-1
When authorized; procedure generally.

The several juvenile courts of the state are authorized to relieve minors over 18 years of age from the disabilities of nonage in the following cases and none other:

(1) Whenever the father or the mother of such minor shall file a petition with the court, in writing, requesting that such minor be relieved from the disabilities of nonage, and the court shall be satisfied that it is to the best interest of such minor. The parent filing such petition shall aver whether he or she is the guardian of such minor.

(2) Whenever any such minor, having no father, mother, or guardian, or if a parent is living but is insane or has abandoned such minor for one year, shall file a petition with the court to be relieved of the disabilities of nonage, and the court shall be satisfied that it is to the interest of such minor.

(3) Whenever any such minor, having no father or mother, or if a parent is living but is insane or has abandoned such minor for one year, but having a guardian, shall file a petition with the juvenile court to be relieved from the disabilities and the guardian shall join in such petition and the court shall be satisfied that it is to the interest of such minor.
(Code 1876, §2735; Code 1886, §2357; Code 1896, §829; Code 1907, §4505; Acts 1923, No. 562, p. 735; Code 1923, §8280; Acts 1936-37, Ex. Sess., No. 95, p. 110; Code 1940, T. 27, §13.)
Section 26-13-1

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">