• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

emancipation in alabama

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OHRoadwarrior

If you are still in school, you are in a "catch 22". You say you are responsible enough to be emancipated, yet you would quit school, to do so. This would be proof of irresponsibility.

You, my friend, are stuck. No, you would not be able to just jump into school elsewhere. Part of being responsible is overcoming adversity, by doing what is best, over what you wish. That is the situation you are in.

Good Luck. Remember, you really need the diploma to survive in the world.

anthony1272

school

no im not willing to drop out of school. it's my senior year and i have a 3.54 GPA and a 22 on the ACT. im planning on going to college. but i hate being in the group home im in. i recently had MAT asessment, and it came back saying that i needed to be placed in transitional living program, meaning an apartment. but my social worker does not agree with it and is making excuses to keep from moving me now. now she's saying that she wants to wait untill the end of the school semester to move me. but school just started and this school run 7 periods and the place that i may be going runs 4 blocks, so either way my credits are going to be screwed up whether she moves me now or later.

anthony1272

mother

my dad passed away in 2001, and i was removed from my mother in 2005 basicly she was unfit to provide proper care

mistoffolees

no im not willing to drop out of school. it's my senior year and i have a 3.54 GPA and a 22 on the ACT. im planning on going to college. but i hate being in the group home im in. i recently had MAT asessment, and it came back saying that i needed to be placed in transitional living program, meaning an apartment. but my social worker does not agree with it and is making excuses to keep from moving me now. now she's saying that she wants to wait untill the end of the school semester to move me. but school just started and this school run 7 periods and the place that i may be going runs 4 blocks, so either way my credits are going to be screwed up whether she moves me now or later.
First, I think you should drop any ideas of emancipation. It's not going to happen and trying to force the issue by moving out of state would simply mess up your life.

You only have 8-9 months left. You can live it that. Then you'll be off to college and can start doing things the way YOU want.

Meanwhile, if you disagree with what your social worker is telling you, see if there's someone else you can talk to. Social worker's supervisor? Counselor? Of course, be aware that there's a risk to that - social worker will find out and will not be happy that you went around her back. If you choose to do that, be sure to provide calm, rational arguments to support your position. "I'm college bound and have a great GPA and a drastic change in school structure might endanger my ability to get into a good college" is a reasonable argument. "I don't like the kids I live with" isn't.

TinkerBelleLuvr

When you are filing FAFSA in the Spring, make sure you answer that you have been in state custody. It will mean that you will NOT need parent information and should allow you go get full pell grant and other scholarships.

anthony1272

well

well that's not the problem. it's just the fact that i'm unable to prepare myself for life outside of living in group homes because they won't allow me to do anything. now dont get me wrong im very smart and resposible with my money and such. but ive never worked a paid job or even done an interview.....ect

TinkerBelleLuvr

well that's not the problem. it's just the fact that i'm unable to prepare myself for life outside of living in group homes because they won't allow me to do anything. now dont get me wrong im very smart and resposible with my money and such. but ive never worked a paid job or even done an interview.....ect
Then start getting creative here. If you went to guidance, they might find a volunteer who could help you prepare for interviews, etc. There are people in the community who ARE willing to help. If I was closer to you, I would volunteer, but I'm not.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
ive never worked a paid job or even done an interview.

Which is one reason why you are not a candidate for emancipation. Emancipation does not mean just living on your own - it also means a PROVEN history of supporting yourself. Without that history, you don't have a prayer of being emancipated. "Moved to transitional living" while still under the care of the state, maybe. Emancipation - not even a ghost of a chance.

anthony1272

thanks

well ive done voulentier work at a soup kitchen. and voulentiered after the april tornadoes in pleasant grove and pratt city. so i know how to work, and not only that but i have a welding certificate and oxy-fuel torch cutting certificate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">