• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

emancipation in alabama

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anthony1272

Alabama. i am currently 18 and am in DHR custody. i am wondering what i would need to do to get out of DHR. to avoid continuing to live in group homes. i have a 240 hour welding certificate and could work if i was allowed to do so. any info would be great. thanks

Antigone*

Alabama. i am currently 18 and am in DHR custody. i am wondering what i would need to do to get out of DHR. to avoid continuing to live in group homes. i have a 240 hour welding certificate and could work if i was allowed to do so. any info would be great. thanks
The age of majority in Alabama is 19. When you turn 19 you will be free to leave.

mistoffolees

but can't i petition the court for emancipation?
Yes - if you meet all the requirements.
Alabama Emancipation Law - YRN
You may not qualify - your parents or guardians normally have to request it for you.

In general, you need to show that you are capable of taking care of yourself. The potential to get a job probably won't cut it. Having a job and a place to live and paying all of your own expenses would probably do it. Note that this does not appear to be required by the statute, but I can't imagine a judge emancipating you unless you convince him that you'll make it on your own.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Section 26-13-1
When authorized; procedure generally.

The several juvenile courts of the state are authorized to relieve minors over 18 years of age from the disabilities of nonage in the following cases and none other:

(1) Whenever the father or the mother of such minor shall file a petition with the court, in writing, requesting that such minor be relieved from the disabilities of nonage, and the court shall be satisfied that it is to the best interest of such minor. The parent filing such petition shall aver whether he or she is the guardian of such minor.

(2) Whenever any such minor, having no father, mother, or guardian, or if a parent is living but is insane or has abandoned such minor for one year, shall file a petition with the court to be relieved of the disabilities of nonage, and the court shall be satisfied that it is to the interest of such minor.

(3) Whenever any such minor, having no father or mother, or if a parent is living but is insane or has abandoned such minor for one year, but having a guardian, shall file a petition with the juvenile court to be relieved from the disabilities and the guardian shall join in such petition and the court shall be satisfied that it is to the interest of such minor.
(Code 1876, §2735; Code 1886, §2357; Code 1896, §829; Code 1907, §4505; Acts 1923, No. 562, p. 735; Code 1923, §8280; Acts 1936-37, Ex. Sess., No. 95, p. 110; Code 1940, T. 27, §13.)
Section 26-13-1

http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/CodeOfAlabama/1975/127789.htm

anthony1272

well i have GAL a mr. Brian Clark. but i dont see how i could meet the requirements if the group home i live in will not allow me to work. ive voulentiered but no paid work.. what about going out of state, ive herd it can be done that way. by going to court out of state. is that possible?

OHRoadwarrior

Whatever you do, don't pack up, sneak out and move to a state where 18 year olds are legal adults. That would be mean to the state.

anthony1272

ok

so there's no legal actions that can be pressed against me? considering i am in DHR custody.. and live in a group home. if i were to leave and go to anouther state, would i automaticly be emancipated or would dhr be able to have me returned to alabama?

ecmst12

They can only do that if they can find you...and once you become a resident of another state I don't think they can touch you.

anthony1272

how long

how long does it take to become a resident of another state. how do i go about doing so?? once i am emancipated can i return to alabama on my own?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">